Saturday, October 8, 2011

Little Dragon - Ritual Union


So I was back in the states recently and made it out to New York during my trip. I was walking home one night with my friend Adam who I'd just had dinner with. As we passed by a restaurant on our walk, I heard a familiar sound and when I paid a little bit of attention, I realized it was Constant Surprises, a song which happens to be my favorite song by the band Little Dragon. If you don't want to take my word on how good it is (you shouldn't) listen to it now.



I told you, didn't I? So I love this band, and hearing this song made me realize that it had been a while since I heard anything from them. Their second album came out a couple years back, and despite how much I loved their first album, I found their second album disappointing. So, I went online to see what they were working on, only to find that I was already like 3 months late on getting their latest album, Ritual Union. I wasted no time in obtaining this album, and I was not at all disappointed. In fact, I think it's probably their best album yet. This entire album is really freaking ridiculously good. I've been listening to it on repeat since the first time I listened to it, standing in line at the airport and dancing to myself.

The Swedish-born Japanese vocalist Yukimi brings so much soul to this album through her voice. It's no wonder Jose Gonzalez chose her as his back-up vocalist and his girlfriend. My favorite track from the album, Please Turn, comes right in the middle of a string of solid tracks (Brush the Heat, Shuffle a Dream, Cristalfilm) which I listen to on repeat still. Also, if I were a stripper, I think this is the song I would dance to.

No comments:

Post a Comment