Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Brightest Diamond - All Things Will Unwind

All Things Will Unwind has been one of my most anticipated albums this year, and it's finally been released this month. This is the 3rd studio album from My Brightest Diamond, one of my favorite artists for a couple of years now. My Brightest Diamond is the stage name of Shara Worden, a trained opera singer who paid her dues as an Illinoisemaker, touring with Sufjan Stevens before she began releasing her own solo work (much the same as St. Vincent, who also released her 3rd album this year).

I've been waiting pretty much since 2008 when her last album came out for her to release anything new, and this album has lived up to my expectations. She's always mixed an orchestra into her relaxed, rock sound, but this third album is stripped down even more, focusing on mostly the orchestral side. It's a beautiful derivative of what she's done before and still lends itself wonderfully to her ethereal vocals. My favorite track from the album, Reaching Through to the Other Side, maintains a bit more of her older sound than most tracks on the album.



I'll definitely keep enjoying this album for a while, but at the same time I'll be very much looking forward to the remix albums she always releases after her studio albums. Her voice lends itself so well to such a range of styles, which is one of the things I love about her. For example, one of my favorite remixes of her work:


I think it's an amazing remix of one of her most haunting songs, and it's so different from the original version of To Pluto's Moon, but still fits her so well, which I guess is one of the things I love about her.

So to sum up, you really should be listening to My Brightest Diamond. Her new album is great and it just makes it more difficult for me to pick my favorite album by her, an argument I constantly have with myself and have still not resolved. And if you're not yet sold on her, you should watch this:

No comments:

Post a Comment