Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Lighthouse and the Whaler

I stumbled across The Lighthouse and the Whaler a few years ago after their first album came out. There was like a week where they were all I listened to cause I was extremely stressed and not sleeping enough and their album was exactly what I needed to calm me down and make everything ok. At the time, they made me think of Fleet Foxes, as Under Mountain, Under Ground illustrates.




That's my favorite track off the first album. At the time I loved the album, but after going back and listening to it recently, it's not as great as I originally thought. I still enjoy it and there are some excellen tracks, but I think it was more the timing that made me listen to it on repeat. Luckily for me they just released a 2nd album, This Is An Adventure, which is really good. It's such a change from their last album, this time a lot more upbeat. It actually reminds me of Freelance Whales now, which is ironic because Freelance Whales's new album doesn't remind me of Freelance Whales. There's even moments that are reminiscent of Phoenix. Pioneers is a great opening track and one of my favorites.





And the first song I heard off the album, Venice, is also a stand out track.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment