Thursday, July 10, 2014

Jinja Safari

First thought of the day is to let you all know how excited I am that My Brightest Diamond has just announced a new album, This Is My Hand. And with that comes the first single off the album, Pressure. And just in case you can't wait until September for the new album, there's also an EP, None More Than You, being released next week. Very exciting times. I've written about her before, but in short, she is magic and I'm in love with her and everything she does.





I actually found out last Friday and wanted to write a blog post about it, but I had just written one on Thursday and decided not too. So I've been waiting a week to talk about this song. It's probably the most exciting thing I have to share today. It's hard to top My Brightest Diamond. And even though I've only heard one song, I'm quite confident her album will be towards the top of my top 10 this year.

In other news there really isn't much. I applied for my China visa yesterday so that I can finally move there in August. I've also got an exciting couple of weeks coming up for music. I saw Tame Impala last night, which was much better than I expected, and much better than listening to their albums. Then I've got Phantogram and Meshell Ndegeocello next week, followed by Bonobo (again!) the week after. There is also some personal stuff going on, but I don't like sharing private things in public forums. But feel free to ask me about it if you're curious.

After last night's excellent Australian concert, I might as well share some more excellent Australian music. Actually, I've been wanting to write about Jinja Safari for months now and then never did. Mostly because I wasn't able to get anything new by them. I read about how they released an album and whatnot, but never found it. Probably because it was only released in Australia or something along those lines. But now I will write about them. Not because I heard anything new by them, but actually because I heard a solo single from one of the members, Pepa Knight. He's put out two solo singles in the last few months, I guess in preparation of a solo album or something. No word on that yet, but I do hope that whatever he does, he keeps putting out tracks like Rahh!, the song which inspired this blog. It reminds me of Lord Huron, which is a wonderful thing to remind me of. It also reminds me of the song Wood by Rostam Batmanglij, one of the members of Vampire Weekend (a band I'm not super crazy about) who's done a bit of his own stuff, and also needs to do more.





After hearing Rahh! I decided to go look this guy up, which is how I found out he's half of Jinja Safari, which led me to once again try to find music by Jinja Safari, and this time I found a bunch of tracks on SoundCloud. Apparently they've been there for years and I somehow missed them. But I haven't now.

Before this I'd heard their Toothless Grin single, which is all I've got on Spotify and only has 2 songs plus 3 remixes. I don't actually remember what the first song I heard by them was, and what made me want to find more in the first place, but all I had for the longest time was Toothless Grin. It's a great song, though, so hopefully you'll see why I want more by them.





A bit of googling tells me that this is apparently off of their eponymous 2nd album, which came out last year. I must have heard this or something off of that album last year when I first heard them. But now, thanks to SoundCloud and the magic of the internet in general, I know that they have another album as well, Locked by Land, that came out in 2011. And that has what is so far my favorite song by them, Mermaids.




Now I just need to go on iTunes and hope I can buy these. If so, then all my problems are solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment