Friday, October 27, 2017

Oct 28 - Slenderbodies / Aquilo / Tune-Yards

Oh goodness, I just spent like 2 hours trying to get my VPN to work again. It seems like my problem was that I had a dedicated IP address, which was a great thing, until it stopped working. Apparently China has blocked the IP address. Which is what led to my not being able to connect for like weeks. Add the big Communist Party that's been going on for the last week on top of this, and things were impossible. But now I'm back on the VPN! So I can share music with you. But I'm not gonna write a bunch cause I just want to share music, take a nap, and then watch a movie before dinner.

But I will say, I went to Cirque du Soleil last night! That was super fun. Always great to see a good show. This was my 4th time seeing them, and actually it was maybe the worst show so far. It just seemed very circusy, instead of their typical incredible acrobatic acts. I don't know if maybe they figured in China they should move away from the acrobatic stuff, which may seem cool to foreigners but not to Chinese, and stick more to things which are novel to them. It would make sense. And anyway, even though it was just typical circus acts (mostly, not totally), they still present it with such an incredible level of spectacle and detail that you can't help being impressed. And add the live music on top of that, and it's even better. So yeah, good night. Plus I got oysters and wine after, so even better.

Speaking of incredible, I've got an incredible song to share with you now. It comes from the LA duo Slenderbodies. They have a couple of EPs out, and make some pretty nice stuff. But there is one song in particular that I just love, and it is Little Islands, off of their fabulist EP from earlier this year. I love the falsetto vocals, and the dreamy, bubbly guitars that just wander off into space, and how it's all pulled together and brought back to earth by the drum beat. Great combination of sounds. Love it.





Also giving great falsetto and dreamy music is Aquilo. Another dreamy duo, in fact, but this time from the UK. I heard their song Thin, and it is beautiful. And dreamy. Especially around 2:30 where the bells or whatever come in, and the vocals get super awesome. Lots of dreamy today.





So anyway, I loved that one, and then I went to listen to their first album, Silhouettes, that came out in January, and it's boring. It's nice, just really boring. But then their other post-Silhouettes single, I Could Fight On A Wall, is also great and not boring. Kind of Bon Iver-y, even. So I think this is a great direction and whatever they're going to do next, I am quite excited for. If you like these two songs, go ahead and give Silhouettes a listen, but don't expect the level of goodness in these two tracks.





So that was the blog post I had planned for today, but then something amazing happened. Tune-Yards released a new single, called Look At Your Hands. Now this one is not dreamy. This one is funky. As you might expect from Tune-Yards. I think her third album was a bit too funky, and this keeps a bit of the funk, but I kind of like it. Especially after a few listens. Really, this woman is just incredible, and she has a new album coming out in January and I can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment