Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Oct 30 - Brittany Howard / Angel Olsen

Today I'm sharing maybe two of my favorite songs of the year. Both from artists who have put out new albums, and who I've already shared this year when they released their first singles from those albums. But now the albums are out, and they're both fantastic, and I'm sharing my favorite song from each album, which, again, may be some of my favorite songs of the year.

Up first we have Brittany Howard, the lead singer of Alabama Shakes, who's debut album Jaime came out at the end of September. Favorite track there is Georgia, a song about (in her words) growing up as a gay, black girl and having a crush on an older girl and not knowing what to do about it. Anyway, amazing song. Especially from 2:42 on to the end where it just blows up. But really the whole thing.





And then there's Lark, from Angel Olsen's new album All Mirrors, which came out at the beginning of this month. It crescendos in a similar way to Georgia, but much sooner. And I love it also. The whole album. Both of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment