Friday, November 16, 2012

Because I like long songs

So sometimes I love an extremely long song. I especially love when a regular length song is played out to ridiculous lengths at a concert. That's always fun.

I got two new albums this week, both of which are great, and both of which contain songs of around 9 minutes. Both of which songs are fantastic.

The first one is Troubleman, off Mondo, the debut album from Electric Guest. I'm a bit partial to this band since they're from LA, but they also make excellent music. They're produced by Danger Mouse, which is always a good sign, and at times remind me of Graffiti6, which is also a good thing.




Then there is Gary Clark, Jr. This is one guy you should absolutely know about. I first heard him earlier this year with his song Bright Lights. That's probably still my favorite song by him, so even though only a measly 5:25, I will still share it with you.





This guy is pretty freaking awesome. Some have even called him the saviour of the blues. Great vocals, great music, and excellent songs of ridiculous length. Which brings me to another of my favorites from his major label debut album, Blak and Blu. This song is not only almost 10 minutes long, it also has a crazy long name: Third Stone from the Sun/If You Love Me Like You Say. And he doesn't even start singing until like three and a half minutes in. This is one of those tracks that, even though it's already stupid long, I don't want it to end. And I can only imagine how amazing it is live. Apparently it's a double cover, starting off with Jimi Hendrix and moving into Albert Collins.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment