Sunday, December 18, 2011

Life + James Vincent McMorrow

Before I get into the music, a couple of quick things.

1. I don't live in China anymore. That's weird. I'm on my way to London for a couple of weeks before moving to South Africa for at least the next 2 years. So I'm posting this from the Dubai airport. I may start doing more non-music posts once I'm in Africa. We'll see.

2. A friend gave me a great compliment the other day. He said my taste in music was esoteric. That made me very happy.

Ok, now for the music. I heard James Vincent McMorrow early this year and the first thing that came to mind was Bon Iver. I think there's a lot of similarities between the two, and not just musically. Apparently Mr. McMorrow took a page from Justin Vernon's book in writing his first album, Early in the Morning, by closing himself off in a house in the middle of nowhere to write it.

I wanted to put it in my top 10 this year because I remember reading that it was only released in Ireland (where he's from) in 2010, and given a wider release in 2011. Unfortunately I couldn't find that tidbit when I made my list, which may have been a blessing in disguise cause it was hard enough to get my list down to ten albums.

My favorite track from the album is We Don't Eat. Please enjoy:



I also love the first track on the album, If I Had A Boat. It's a great opener and I think you can definitely hear the similarties between James and Bon Iver here.

No comments:

Post a Comment