Wednesday, December 25, 2013

New music for 2014

I would have thought my top 10 would be my last post for the year, but these lists always come so early. Everyone starts posting them like December 1, which makes me feel like I need to rush to post mine, then I get it up like halfway through the month, and then there's half a month left where I'm still listening to music but I feel weird posting again cause it just doesn't feel right. But screw it, I'm doing it. And this one feels ok, since it's about what I'm looking forward to in 2014, so it's fitting.

In the spirit of the New Year I guess I could discuss New Year's Resolutions, of which I have none. I've always found it kind of arbitrary to pick the year end to resolve to do something or change something in your lifestyle. It makes sense, what with the new year and all that, but I've always thought that if I want to change something or resolve to do something, then I can do it anytime I want. So I don't bother racking my brains trying to come up with something to change for the next year, and just go for things as they come to me. But there are things I'm excited about for 2014, so here's a list, in no particular order despite those numbers trying to fool you:

1. The big three zero
2. Australia
3. My sister's graduation and possible subsequent trip
4. Traveling in general (Germany has been good for that, 2014 will hopefully include weekends to Copenhagen, Paris, London, Slovenia and Georgia)
5. Beth Brash's wedding
6. (Hopefully) moving back to China
7. Food. Always food.
8. (Hopefully) becoming BFF with Haim

And then there is music which I'm looking forward to for 2014. Artists who I've found in 2013 that I really like, but who have yet to release an album. Or artists who are releasing new music in 2014. I always go to BBC's Sound of... series to see what they have to say, and there's some good ones this year. In fact one of mine is on there, as are a few others that I'm enjoying at the moment. I guess there's a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to, but there are two that come to mind when I try to think of stuff I'm looking forward to. But not to fear, there is a whole list at the bottom.

The first one, and the one that made it to the BBC's long list, is Banks. She's released a couple of EPs, and apparently has been described as Ellie Goulding covering The Weeknd, which is actually pretty close when I think about it. Better than anything I could think of. And she apparently toured with The Weeknd too. Not too bad for a little girl from Tarzana (disclaimer: I don't know how little she is, but I imagine she's like 18. That's little enough). My favourite track by her so far is This Is What It Feels Like, which I just learned was produced by Jamie Woon, which makes sense when I listen to it.




The next one that I'm looking forward to is SOHN. I don't know so much about him, but I think he's British. That's about it. And he's worked with some other amazing artists, like the aforementioned Banks and Kwabs. Sometimes it feels like these Brits are taking over my musical life. Like half of my top 10 this year was British. What can I say, I guess they  know what they're doing. Anyway, here's Bloodflows, my favourite SOHN track.




Of course there are others that I'm looking forward to, some new, some not so new (complete with links to older blog posts!). On the not so new artist side, there's new music from James Vincent McMorrow, Sabina Sciubba (of Brazilian Girls, and possibly even some from Brazilian Girls), Warpaint, Broken Bells, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Jezabels, and St. Vincent. And on the new artist side, aside from Banks and SOHN, there's Dan Croll, Kelela, Kwabs, Say Lou Lou, Bipolar Sunshine, and RY X.

And of course Jai Paul. Always Jai Paul. A boy can dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment