Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Sept 21 - Aero Flynn

I believe today is Hong Kong story time. My friend Beth came to visit recently, and we ended up meeting for a weekend in Hong Kong before coming up to Shanghai. Our friends Tom and Vicky live in Vietnam and told me at their wedding (which I was at just a couple months ago in London) that they'd be in HK for the weekend. And since Beth was coming anyway and we all know each other, we all met up there first for the weekend. I was meeting them late on Friday night, but they'd all been there for the day. Sadly my flight was delayed so by the time I got in I went straight to the hotel to bed, where I found Beth pretty much already asleep.

But on Saturday, we got off to a strong start with coffee. Beth used to work in coffee and so also love it, just like me, and there are a lot of amazing coffee places in HK. In fact, some of the apparent best ones were within walking distance of our hotel. So we went to two of them. And then on to dim sum with Tom and Vicky, back at the elbow jostling place I went to last time, which was just as good as I remember. This was followed by a hop over to Kowloon for some shopping, which was mildly successfull, followed by beers and snacks, a break, and then more drinks and food. We literally planned our entire weekend around drinks and food. We had so many lists going. And many of the places on our list needed reservations, but didn't take reservations, so we ended up putting our name down at like 3 places and drinking while we waited for the first one to call us. And luckily we got into our first choice, a modern Japanese yakitori place called Yardbird. I think everyone had been recommended that place by someone, and it did not disappoint. Also, Shuk-wah came! Yay! We love Shuk-wah. She took us around to a bunch of bars after that. I feel like this is a very boring paragraph. And I promise that my description of Sunday will be similar. So to summarize: we ate a lot, we drank a lot, and we enjoyed each others' company a lot. I'll leave it at that. Then Beth came to Shanghai and we did pretty much the same. But I'll talk about it later.

For now, I'll share Aero Flynn with you. I don't know where I stumbled across this project, but this is a band that is somehow tangentially related to Bon Iver. There's a really long essay I read on the website that basically talks about how this guy Josh Scott was apparently in a band with Justin Vernon which was amazing but then he had all kinds of personal issues and broke the band up and Justin went on to make Bon Iver, but the original band would have been even better and many years later Josh Scott finally came back and wrote an album under the name Aero Flynn. And it is a killer album. So today you will hear two songs from said album, the first being Dk/Pi.




And the next is Crisp. Anyway, go buy this album. It's beautiful and you need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment