Monday, July 3, 2017

July 4 - Park Hotel

Am I supposed to say something about the 4th of July today? Hooray? I'm at work, so I guess not much to say. And after work I'm going to a yoga class and Japanese class. How very un-American of me. Maybe I'll eat a hamburger in between. Or something like that. I'd actually love to celebrate, but it's a Tuesday and I have to work.

Oh, but here's a fun fact I can share! Apparently "American Independence Day" and "4th of July" parties were banned in China this year. A friend of mine does a bunch of events around town and has a restaurant, and I ran into her this Saturday at a weekend market. We got to talking about this big 4th of July party that was happening on Sunday, which she had a food stall at, and she said they can't call it a 4th of July party. The Chinese government told them so. She wasn't sure the reason, but then my friend Julia mentioned that apparently the US just put a bunch of sanctions on some Chinese bank for dealings with North Korea. So maybe this is in retaliation? Who knows. Weird China. But at least US beef can now be imported to China after not being allowed for 10 years. So I can make that burger 100% Grade-A USDA! If I knew where to get it, that is...

In music news, I just hear this band called Park Hotel. They are not American either. I guess I should introduce American music today? Oh well. Too bad. You're getting some Brits. 2 of them, to be exact, who got together to form this group Park Hotel. They have two songs out, both of which are great and will be played for you today. We'll go in chronological order, starting with their debut single, Gone As A Friend.




Fun, right? They call themselves post-electronic dance music, and lots of people also say disco. I get that, although I'm not sure I'd make disco one of the main modifiers of this sound. but post-electronic dance music, that works. Anyway, it's fun and funky and groovy and sounds like LCD Soundsystem, so what's not to like? They only have two songs at the moment and no clue what's going to happen next, but I'm looking forward to it. And before leaving, here's the 2nd single, Going West.


No comments:

Post a Comment