Friday, July 27, 2018

Jul 28 - Dirty Projectors

I haven't managed to write in nearly two weeks because I've been insanely busy. Last we spoke I was in Germany for work, and every day was full full full of meetings. I barely had a second to myself. But the first meeting was the best meeting. Because that was the meeting where they told me I was going to move to Australia. Finally. After a year of talking about, it's finally happening. If they didn't make it happen after this trip, I was probably going to quit at the end of the year. Luckily they did. And to make it even better, I am going to be General Manager. So now it's also a big promotion with full responsibility for Australia and New Zealand. Suffice it to say I'm a happy boy.

And from there, things just went crazy. I spent my time in Germany (including two nice weekends, one in Spain and one in Munich which I'll talk about later), and then I flew straight to Sydney to meet my new team. I got there on a Tuesday to meet them, the day after they fired the old GM and told him not to come back. So I spent two days there, then flew back to Shanghai where I spent 1 day, and now I'm sitting in the airport in Seoul on my way home. I think I've slept about 4 hours a night for the last week. One night I maybe slept 6 1/2. It has been exhausting, and the longest travel week of my life. 4 countries on 4 continents in a week. Insane. But it's all going to be worth it, cause now I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks, and then I move to Australia and start this great new job. So things are going well in the world of Minsky.

That's it for today. Good news! Yay! Next time I'll talk about Spain and Germany fun times.

Well, not totally it. There's still music. That's what this blog is about, after all. And today it's Dirty Projectors. They put out the album Dirty Projectors last year, which was one of my top albums of 2017. And without skipping a beat, there's a new album this year, called Lamp Lit Prose. Not as good as last year's, but still wonderful. And a wonderful treat to get so quickly. They started out with the first single Break-Thru back in May, and only once I listened to it on earphones did I realize how much I like it. I love the guitar riff throughout the song, but even more I love that dirty backwards sounding guitar riff during the verses. It's good stuff.





And then the album has a bunch of great collaborations, including Syd from The Internet (who also just put out a new album), Haim, Amber Mark, Robin Pecknold from Fleet Foxes, and Rostam. But the best collaboration, and the best track on the album, is with Empress Of, for the song Zombie Conqueror. A nice little start, but then when it picks up at 30 seconds, and the kick drum comes in like 10 seconds later, it just gets amazing. Such a fantastic song. I love this one. Definitely the best on an all-around fantastic album.


No comments:

Post a Comment