Friday, December 7, 2018

Dec 7 - Low Leaf / Tirzah

The last month has been insane. I took my last trip back to China, where I planned that big trade show, and now I'm back in Australia. But I'm back for less than 72 hours, and they have been non-stop hours. I landed Wednesday at noon, came home, and my delivery of all my stuff from China was waiting for me. So I spent the day unpacking that. Then I went to work Thursday, and came home to keep unpacking. And this morning I flew to Melbourne for a meeting in the morning, flew back, kept unpacking and organizing and cleaning (I've done like 10 loads of laundry in the last 72 hours) and then had my work Holiday Dinner. And then came home and packed. But I want to put some music on, because I have 2 more blogs I want to share music on before I do my top 10, which I'm working on. But it's midnight and I'm getting up at 6:30, so I'll jump right in.

Today's music is 2 new (to me) artists. The first is Low Leaf. She's a Filipino American hippy who makes insane music. Good insane. Influenced-from-all-over-the-world-and-blended-perfectly insane. I've just found out about her via her new EP PRiMiTiVA, which is fantastic. I mean, just listen to this song, Yah Yah.





Right from the start, it's all like "what?" And then the beat comes in, and it's like "what???" And it just keeps going from there. Then follow that up with the closing track on the EP Journey to GiGA GAiA. She has older stuff, only one album of which I've listened to and it was just ok, but I will be going back and listening to everything she has done based on this EP.





And the next artist is Tirzah, and she really is new. Well, first album new, but not first EP new. And I learned that apparently she started doing her thing at the same time and in the same place as FKA Twigs and Jai Paul. And her bff is Micachu (whose first album was fantastic and weird, and then the subsequent stuff was not as fantastic). And now Micachu has helped produce Devotion, Tirzah's debut album. It is also really weird. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I think I need to listen to it many times more and may just come to love it. Or not. I don't know. But I do know that the song Guilty I immediately loved.




And then there's the song Go Now, which was the other stand out track to me. And which is not as pop-vocally as Guilty. Not that Guilty is pop at all. This is weird music. Today's music is all super weird.

Also, I think both Micachu and Tirzah are Jewish. Just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment