Monday, August 12, 2019

Aug 13 - Marika Hackman

So Nikki got stuck here over the weekend. She was supposed to leave on Friday night, but a huge typhoon came through Shanghai and the airport closed. So she got stuck here for 2 more days. It was a bit hectic getting everything sorted out, but in the end she had to reschedule all her flights and she went directly from Sydney, which was a plus. But it was also more expensive. But she got two more days here, and didn't get stuck in the airport in Kuala Lumpur for 48 hours, which is what would have probably happened. So we got to spend the weekend together before she left, and she made it out safe and sound on Sunday. It was a pretty chill weekend, I guess. Just went to a few markets, ate a bunch more, and had a barbecue.

Oh! Which reminds me! I won a meat raffle! That is anything but ordinary. So a meat raffle is exactly what it sounds like. And many pubs do them. Me being me, once I learned about it I obviously wanted to take part in one. And then by chance I found out that the pub next to my house does them on Friday nights. By chance I mean I was in the pub with Nikki a week ago and they asked if we wanted to buy tickets. So we did. And we lost. But then we were back there for a pre-airport drink last Friday and this time we won! So we then grilled it up on Sunday and it was extremely tasty. And Nikki also got to partake because of the delays. Win-win.

Ok now on to music. Today is Marika Hackman, who has just released her new album Any Human Friend. She's been on my radar for a couple of years, since her last album, pretty much. I don't remember what exactly I had heard by her, but I just remember a while after the last album came out something came onto a playlist and I liked it a lot and did a bit of follow up, but not a lot. Well now that the new one is out, I've followed up. And it's a good one. In fact, she kind of reminds me of St. Vincent. So up first is the one, my favorite track off the album.





And then we'll throw in one more good one, which will be any human friend, the title/closing track on the album. Less St. Vincent-y than the one, but still great.


No comments:

Post a Comment