Thursday, August 1, 2019

Aug 2 - HAIM / Junaco / Twen

We'll go with some female music today. Meaning music made by females. Or at least sung by females, I guess. The first one is all female, but then we're onto male/female duos.

Anyway, exciting new release of the week is Summer Girl, the new single from HAIM! This is the first song since 2017, when they released Something to Tell You. They had been teasing it for the last couple weeks, with a couple of live clips of the song as well, which, to be honest, did not excite me very much. I actually thought the song did not sound very good from the live clips they were releasing. But actually, I like it! It's a solid single. No word on any album or anything yet, but it's a good start for something to be released in 2020, I'd say.




And now on to a couple of new boy/girl duos, but fronted by women, so I'm counting it as female music, and making that the unifying theme of the day. First is Junaco, a pretty relaxed, rocky little band from Northern California. They just put out their debut EP, Awry, 2 weeks ago, and it's a pretty chilled out little number. The opening track, In Between, is what brought them to my attention last month, so I'll leave that one here.




And lastly we move to the east coast for Twen, a new band out of Boston. They do have a live EP from a while ago, that apparently got them some buzz and kept them touring for a while, and now they're starting to release studio recorded songs, I guess in the run-up to some official EP or album. They make pretty great rock, the dreamy song that blooms. Case in point: Baptism, which is my favorite track by them, but I'm loving everything so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment