Monday, August 29, 2016

Aug 29 - Lake Jons / Nice As Fuck

I always forget to write over the weekend. And I totally had time last weekend, I just didn't think to do it. And now I'm actually super busy at work, so don't have time to write there either. I knew it would pick back up, and I'm glad it did, but it makes the writing much more difficult.

So I guess it's time to sum up what happened between my London trips, and then the next blog will be about London. The short answer is, not much. It was a pretty uneventful few weeks. Just stayed in Shanghai, didn't really go anywhere for an entire month. Which, for me, is pretty eventful, I guess, considering I'm usually all over the place.

During that month, my buddy Mike came back to visit, so we've decided to resume this tradition we started when he lived here and I'd come regularly. So now whenever he comes, we're gonna pick a nice, fancy, famous restaurant, and take ourselves out for a nice, fancy dinner, probably by someone famous. There's so many world famous chefs and outstanding restaurants here in Shanghai, but I can't justify spending like $150+ on a meal that often. But every couple of months, sure. So this time we went to Joel Robuchon's new restaurant here in Shanghai. Everything was very good, but nothing was amazing, sadly. And every dish felt like there was a way it could be better. Well, maybe with one exception, which was the steak with foie gras. How can you mess up that combo, though? But I'm very glad I tried it, and I'm looking forward to the next trip when I can try something else.

I also went to a Supper Club, which is always fun. And this time I actually met people. Normally you go to these things and have a nice chat, but never follow up with anyone. But this night's group was awesome, and I've made a couple new friends as a result. Something I'm actively working on doing. And I also went to a couple other parties (one of the house variety, one of the no-pants-in-a-chocolate-factory variety) where I also made more friends. And which I got a date out of. So things are looking up on the friend side, too!

And on the music side, I've got like 4 blogs lined up to share with you. 3 of them are new music, 1 is not. And there's blogs (like today's) which have multiple artists. Because I just can't catch up.

Today is all new, and we're starting with Lake Jons. They're a newish Finnish trio that I just found out about, with two EPs out, one called Explore and one called Explode. So here's a great, fun song for you off of Explode, called In Time.





Now, being from the cold northern land of Finland, it's no surprise that some of their songs may be influenced by other indie-famous cold northerners - Bon Iver. There's a big influence in some songs. Like Talks, off of the Explore EP.





Alright, now that I took you down, it's time to bring you back up with a fun little ditty by Nice As Fuck. This is a new supergroup, formed by Jenny Lewis with a few other ladies I've never heard of but are famous enough to qualify this as a supergroup. I'm not a huge fan of their eponymous debut album, but there is this song Door which is great. And a couple other good ones, but for me this is the only one I really liked.




No comments:

Post a Comment