Friday, January 19, 2018

Jan 19 - Lucius / Brazilian Girls / Sylvan Esso / The Decemberists

Tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day I write about India. I promise. Tonight I'm not doing anything, I'm staying home, but I've been nauseous all day (2nd time this week....) and I don't know why and I just want to finish this show I'm watching (Godless) then watch a movie. Not spend an hour writing. But tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day. But I do have to write you something today, because today is a big music day. This is the first big music day of the year, I'd say.

First, we have a few great album releases. We've known these are coming, but we've got the new Tune-Yards, new First Aid Kit, new Glen Hansard, and the first album from Lake Jons. Plus there's a sort of extension of Hard Love, Strand of Oaks album from last year, with some new takes and new tracks, called Harder Love. Not bad.

But it doesn't stop there. We have some other wonderful releases this week. Exciting and wonderful and I must share them. First up is Lucius. They have just put out a track called Neighbors. This is not the first track they've put out recently, they also put out The Punisher and Million Dollar Secret and a rerelease of Until We Get There last year. But this time they put out a track neighbors and their social media says there's big news coming tomorrow. So I guess that means new album! I don't know what's going to be on it, but I guess Neighbors will be. And this video shows what looks like it could be an album cover with the title Nudes. So maybe that's the name? Plus the song does sound pretty stripped back. And they did release that stripped down version of Until We Get There. So maybe.... I guess we'll find out tomorrow. But until then, here's Neighbors!





This next one is probably the most exciting. This next one is Brazilian Girls. I've written about them plenty and you should know by now they are one of my favorite bands that broke up and then I finally saw them live like 2 years ago and they were supposedly working on this new album, and now this new album is a reality. It is called Let's Make Love and it comes out in April. And we've heard some songs off of it already, but Pirates is the first official track, which was released today. First single from this band in 10 years. Damn. And it's a good one.





Then we have Sylvan Esso, who really should not be releasing anything. They just put out an album last year. A great one. Which they're still touring behind. And yet, here is a random new track called PARAD(w/m)E. Not sure what this means for the future, but I'm happy to have it!





And finally we have The Decemberists. Another band I love. And they have released a song called Severed today, which is the first track off of their new album, I'll Be Your Girl, out in March. They did release a random track last year for a Hamilton spin-off album thing, called Ben Franklin, but as far as I know this is the first official single from the next album. I would say this album is likely to make it onto my top 10 list, just seeing the name The Decemberists. But this track is quite different from their usual conceptual baroque rock. This one gets synthy. Which isn't bad, but it's not what I'm used to. But then, I also thought that Grizzly Bear's new album was too synthy at first, and after getting used to it I loved it and it made my top 10 last year. So I guess we'll wait and see!


No comments:

Post a Comment