Monday, January 8, 2018

Jan 9 - Mesita

So I'm back in China after my trip. I'm not going to talk about it now, though. This is my first blog of the year, so I'm very focused on what song I should play you. I've been thinking about it since last year. And I had some things that came to mind, but nothing was right. And then I heard Kihei, the new single from Mesita, the other day.

I spoke about Mesita last year. This guy makes lots of music. Some of it amazing (like Kihei and Compliments, which made the blog last year), and some of it kind of boring. But the guy is pretty prolific in the amount of music he makes. And he plays everything himself. Impressive.

Anyway, Kihei is fantastic. It is very happy and upbeat, so great way to start the year. But also it's a bit melancholy if you listen to the lyrics (full disclosure: the lyrics are basically unintelligible, you have to read them in the video and they still don't make a ton of sense, but enough. Also, nice alliteration.), and we all know I love melancholy. And I think it's about taking what you want and making shit happen, which is a great sentiment at the beginning of a new year. Then there's the name. I don't know what Kihei means, but it sounds Japanese. And in Japanese kihei would mean something like "troops." But also, if you switch the syllables and make it heiki, it means "calm." So it's like the opposite of calm, but originating from calmness, maybe? Man I have really overthought this. Just go listen to the song. And happy new year!


No comments:

Post a Comment