Saturday, January 13, 2018

Dec 13 - Kendrick Lamar and SZA / Ravyn Lenae / Meshell Ndegeocello

I only like writing real blogs at work, so again, I'm not telling you about India yet. Cause I'm at home. And I want to go watch a movie. And work is not too busy so I will still have time there this week. So, music.

Today's musical theme is (probably the first part) of music I'm excited about this year. The first one is new music from not-new artists. Generally, I'd talk about artists who have started gearing up for album releases, but before we do that I'm going to start with just a random track. Kendrick Lamar and SZA put out a new track together called All The Stars, which is the first release from the Black Panther soundtrack. Also, everyone was crazy for Kendrick last year (not me, although he is very good. Just not crazy like everyone). Everyone (I think, although I'm a bit removed so I'm not sure) was also crazy for SZA. This is a group of people that includes me. For like 3 years now. In fact, I think about this time last year I shared Drew Barrymore and talked about how excited I was for SZA to finally release her first official album. And then it was my 3rd favorite album of the year, and maybe my most listened to album. She's not going to release an album again this year, but this song is great and I love her and everything she does, so I'm sharing it with you.





Then we have maybe my favorite new find of last year, Ravyn Lenae. I don't know if she's releasing an album this year, but I sure hope so. She did put out a new song last year, which I love, called Sticky. This is the lead single from a new EP, CRUSH (her 3rd), coming at the end of January. So hopefully there will be a full album by the end of the year. But if this EP is as good as her previous ones, and as good as Sticky, then I'll still be happy.




And then we've got those artists I love who are actually putting out albums. It seems like everyone put out albums last year, but there were a few holdouts. I already talked last year about First Aid Kit Tune-Yards and My Brightest Diamond, all of whom have albums coming out, and all of which I am excited for. But I did not talk about Meshell Ndegeocello. She has a new album coming out also, called Ventriloquism. It was actually supposed to come out late last year, but then got postponed for some reason. But now it is officially coming in March, which I know because she released the first single, Tender Love. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed when the announcement came today because it turns out it's going to be a covers album, and Tender Love is a cover of Force MDs. She already did one cover album, which was a tribute album to Nina Simone, and which did not live up to my excitement. So when I heard covers, the disappointment came. But then I listened to Tender Love, and it's been totally Meshell-ified, and it's really nice. Not that Meshell-ifying anything should even be a word, because this woman is so capable and has created such a diverse discography over her time as an artist, that she defies labels. One of the many reasons I love her. So hopefully she does as well with the others (especially TLC's Waterfalls. That's gonna be a good one...).


No comments:

Post a Comment