Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Feb 8 - Fugees / A Tribe Called Quest

I have finally escaped the cold Shanghai winter! I'm in Bangkok now for work, will be here until tomorrow night, then I fly off to Australia for Chinese New Year. After which I come back to Bangkok for a conference, and then finally back to China in March. At which point maybe it will be warmer? And my sister will be there, so that's fun. And until then, I get to wear shorts and sandals and my bathing suit very often. Starting today, cause I'm at another hotel with an infinity rooftop pool. On purpose.

I've been listening to a lot of late 90s and early 00s hip hop and Soul/R&B this week. I think it all started with The Internet. I was listening to Ego Death a lot (their last album), and it made me want to go and listen to Jill Scott, which made me want to listen to Lauryn Hill, which made me want to listen to D'Angelo, and so on and so forth. And then I logged into iTunes to buy some new stuff (Leyya's new album Sauna, and Jose Gonzalez's new EP & The Brite Lites), and saw a sale on R&B and Hip-Hop. So I looked, and I found a couple gems. I ended up getting The Score by Fugees and The Anthology by A Tribe Called Quest for like $5 each. What a deal. So I listened to those a lot also. And so I'll share songs from those this week. Starting with Killing Me Softly With His Song by Fugees, which actually is like one of my favorite songs ever.





Now I've listened to The Score before, but a very long time ago. Probably not since high school or college. And listening to it now, I find it to be an amazing album. I wish I had listened to it and appreciated it more in the past. But anyway, it's fantastic, and other than all the famous songs which I totally love (Fu-gee-la, No Woman, No Cry), I found that I love the track Zealots, which was not a single but is fantastic.




And then there's A Tribe Called Quest. Obviously I had heard them growing up, but I think it wasn't until We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service came out in 2016 that I gave them a proper listen. That album was fantastic. And I did go back and listen to a bunch of their stuff after that (and before seeing them at FYF last summer), but I'm very glad I bought The Anthology. The opening track, Check The Rhime, much like Zealots, is probably my new favorite Tribe song that I'd never heard before. What a track.




Then I had to pick a second track to put on here, and it was tough. There's a bunch of great tracks on there. It was basically down to Award Tour, Can I Kick It?, and Find A Way. And in the end, Find A Way won.


No comments:

Post a Comment