Monday, April 16, 2018

Apr 16 - Palatine

So I just spent the weekend in Paris. Well, like 36 hours. But it was a good time. As I mentioned, I went for the My Brightest Diamond concert. Which was, as expected, amazing. She is amazing. She opened for this guy Dominique A, who I had never heard of and was not that impressed with so left early. But he was fine, I guess. And anyway I was just there for her. The only reason I really stuck around for him (other than to just check it out) was to see if she would come out and listen and then I could meet her. I did not. But then I posted on Instagram and she liked and commented on my photo! So that was super exciting.

But in honor of Paris, I'm sharing this awesome new band I just found last week, called Palatine. They put out their debut album, Grand Paon de Nuit, a couple of weeks ago, and I think it is fantastic. I think it is one of the best debut albums I've heard in a long time (aside from Haley Heynderickx, who we've already talked about and who is more amazing, but these guys are still amazing). Pretty artsy, a la Benjamin Clementine. Kind of dark, moody, emotional folk rock. Or so I assume, because I understand very little. And everything I can find out about these guys is in French. There's like nothing in English. Very annoying. But I do know they are French and there are 4 of them. So there's that.

But yeah, let's get into the music. I wanted to share Paris - l'ombre because I was in Paris, but then also it is a great song. Especially at around 2 minutes where that loopy guitar comes in. I actually love the kind of weird, nostalgic guitar throughout the whole song. Somehow makes me think of a Quentin Tarantino movie. But especially that loopy bit at 2 minutes.





Everything else I can only find on Spotify. Well that's not true. Baton Rouge is on YouTube. But I want to share other songs more than Baton Rouge. It's also a good song, but not as good as Golden Trinckets, for example. This one is much harder, which I love. And it's in English! Which I don't care about, but maybe you do? Anyway, same kind of nostalgic, rocky, moody sound that I love from these guys.




And last we have the closing track from the album, C'etait un Loup. I love the little "ah-ahs" and the part where it breaks down and then really picks up with the "ah-ahs" at about 2:30 and basically everything else about this song. In fact, I love everything about this album. I listened to it like half a dozen times on repeat while wandering Paris. It was perfect. Exactly what I wanted. So glad I found these guys. And hopefully you will be, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment