Thursday, April 19, 2018

Apr 19 - Wye Oak / Art School Girlfriend

So I've had quite the relaxing week in my little German village. Work hasn't been too crazy, which is good but also bad because I'm in a shared office right by the door which means everyone can see what I'm doing when they walk by so there's no safe way for me to waste time if I have it to waste. So I actually have to just like read news or something. Or do real work all the time. Who does that? But in positive news the weather is great here and I ate gelato today!

What else can I tell you? I won't tell you about Japan now, that'll come later. My sister got a job! That's exciting. She started Monday, working as a photographer at a fancy British international school. So yay for her! She's doing great! It's a 2 year contract, which is definitely not the 6 months she intended to spend in Shanghai. But she'll love it. Obviously. Cause it's the best. And cause I'm there. Duh.

Ok, music. I really thought I had already shared new music from Wye Oak, but I was wrong. I haven't shared anything by Wye Oak in a few years. The most recent thing was music from Flock of Dimes, the solo act of the singer from Wye Oak. But they just put out a new album a couple of weeks ago called The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs. And the lead single, also called The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs, came out like months ago, and I love it. It's so good. How did I not share it already??? Well, I am now.





Good stuff, right? Like this is solid Wye Oak. Wye Oak is usually pretty solid, but not always, but this time yes. The whole album is. It came out and for like a week it was the only thing I wanted to listen to. I love it. Great album. The other great song is the opening track, The Instrument. It's not technically the opener, cause there's an intro before it, but it is the first actual song. And it's a great one. So those are your two Wye Oak songs for today, but just go listen to the whole album. Over and over and over like me.





And then I want to throw something new in for you, in the form of Art School Girlfriend. I just found this Welsh artist last week, from her newest single Moon, which came out about a month ago. Now, Moon is a great song, so as usual I then went to listen to more. And in her case, more just means one EP, Measures, which came out last year. And it's fantastic. Vocally, she kid of reminds me of Wye Oak (which is why I put her in here, too). Musically, also, to a degree, but darker and broodier. Like, all her songs are pretty dark and broody. But beautiful. It was hard to pick just one, but I went with Measures, the title track from her EP. But she is definitely an artist to watch.




No comments:

Post a Comment