Thursday, October 4, 2018

Oct 5 - Hiatus Kaiyote / BADBADNOTGOOD feat. Little Dragon / Kelela feat. KAYTRANADA

Wow I am behind. Things have been crazy, as you may have imagined. What with the move and having like 1 1/2 jobs and all. At first, the job here in Australia was pretty crazy and I was working lots of hours. But as of this week, it feels like it's normalizing. So that's excellent. And the China job is also slowing down, but maybe that's just due to the holiday in China at the moment. Who knows.

But in general, things are good and life is normalizing. Since last speaking, I moved into my apartment, went back to China for a week and packed everything up, and bought a bunch of furniture. I still have more furniture to buy, but I've got the major things, I'd say. And after my next trip to China (which is next Friday and will end at the beginning of November) all of my stuff should arrive in Sydney and I should be able to actually put together my house how I want it. Finally.

In fact, I am writing this at work. Because I actually have time to. Crazy, right? Who would have thought. I don't want to go too much into it now, I just want to give a quick update and share some music (cause I'm way behind on that, too), but I still do need to tell you about my friends and my work and my life. I'll try to get that all in before I go to China next week. Cause once I'm back in China, then the family comes and there's going to be plenty going on and no time to write and then more to write about after. So for now I play catch-up.

Today's music will start with Hiatus Kaiyote. This is nothing new, but it is something amazing. Maybe my favorite Australian band. In fact, when I first moved here, I was trying to listen to a lot of Australian music. You know, to get in that Australian mood. But I refused to listen to Hiatus Kaiyote. I wanted to save Hiatus Kaiyote to be the first music I listened to in my new home. So I did that. And then when I was in China I brought back my small Sonos speakers and I started over with Hiatus Kaiyote. And when the rest of my stuff (and speakers) arrive, I will do it again. Picking which song to start with was difficult, I have to admit, so to make it easier I just started with The World It Softly Lulls, first of all because it's amazing, but more importantly because it is the first song I heard by Hiatus Kaiyote, and seemed fitting. So that's going to be the first song on the blog today.





And then there's a couple good tracks that fall into this soul/funk/R&B genre that I'll tack on today as well. The first one is a new song from BADBADNOTGOOD, who I'm not a huge fan of, but it features Little Dragon, who I am a huge fan of, and is the first song I've heard by them that I really do enjoy. It's called Tried. No idea what it's from. Neither band has new music in the works that I'm aware of. But anyway here it is.




And our last track for the day is another collaboration. Well, a remix, officially. But same difference. It's what I thought was a new Kelela track, but it turns out it is not new, but rather Kelela has a new remix album, called TAKE ME A_PART, which apparently comes out today. And her track Waitin has been remixed by none other than KAYTRANADA, who is wonderful. Kelela is pretty great herself, but add in some KAYTRANADA and you can't go wrong. Starts out super chill. Gets super awesome and super chill at about 2:30. Stays super awesome and super chill. Really great remix. Much better than the original.

As a side note, I just want to point out that I feel like there are a lot of caps in my post today. But it's not my fault. I had to. For artistic integrity. You get it.



No comments:

Post a Comment