Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Jan 31 - Phantastic Ferniture

So we've been around the world already this year, musically. We started in the US (and UK), moved to South America, then Africa, then Asia. So now we're going to go to Australia. And next time I'll have to share European music. And then I'll try to find something from Antarctica....

But for now, we're keeping it simple with Australia. And I've got a good Australian band to share with you. Phantastic Ferniture. This is a side project from singer Julia Jacklin (whose name I have seen a million times and think I've heard, but the more I see her name, the less I think I've actually heard her. Anyway now I'll have to because I really like Phantastic Ferniture. And while writing this I already did, and totally recognize her voice. So I've definitely heard her. Mystery solved.), which she started with a couple of her friends as a joke. But then they actually made an album which they released last year, also called Phantastic Ferniture, and it's pretty great.

Their first song was Fuckin 'n' Rollin, which they actually wrote way back in 2015. But yeah, no album until 2018. Anyway it is a great song. When I try to picture what this song sounds like, it sounds like an 80s glamour shot to me. Kind of fuzzy and dreamy, but also really sparkly. But it's not 80s glam rock. Not at all. It's just really good. No idea what you'd label it. But it's a good one.





I actually mentioned this band to an Australian over the weekend, and she thought she knew it. But she thought I was talking about the store Fantastic Furniture. Which is a real store here in Australia that sells discount furniture. Considering this band started as a joke, I kind of think they may have chosen the name for that exact reason. I don't know. But they formed at a dive bar near my apartment which I've been told to go to, so maybe I'll go and meet them and ask them.

Anyway, more music. Not 80s glamour shot rock, but just rock on the second one. The second one being Take It Off. Which has a pretty sick guitar riff running throughout.


No comments:

Post a Comment