Sunday, September 30, 2012

Alt-j (Δ)

Very rarely a band comes along that is ridiculously amazing, and Alt-j (Δ) is that band for 2012. And as far as I'm concerned for 2011 and 2010 as well. I haven't heard something this awesome since I started listening to Miike Snow. The day after I bought their debut album I spent a 6 hour drive alone in the car to Arizona listening to it on repeat. Or maybe it was Bon Iver that was the most recent, both were around the same time for me, can't remember which came first. But anyway, the debut album from Alt-j (Δ), An Awesome Wave, is that ridiculously amazing. I just came back from a weeklong vacation, and it is basically all I listened to on my 6 hour cross-country drives.

Alt-j (Δ) are somewhere between Radiohead and Wild Beasts. They are masterful. Their attention to detail and the way they create and build their songs is so good I can't even think of an appropriate adjective to describe it. But that could also be because it's like 6am right now. Maybe drummer Thom Green described them best the first time he heard the music, when he said "It was music I was looking for, I just didn't know I was." Props to Beth for helping me find it.

An Awesome Wave was released on September 18 in the US, which was a great day for releases (Grizzly Bear and Lighthouse & The Whaler also released new albums on the same day, all of which are awesome). The album plays like a drug-enduced love song and pretty much every single song on the album is amazing, and those which aren't amazing are still really freaking good. I'm pretty confident this will be my top album for the year. Favorites are (in the following order): Dissolve Me, Tesselate, Taro and Bloodflood. But honestly, even the intro and interludes on this album are awesome.

Luckily for you, they have put their entire album streaming on SoundCloud. And because I love you, here it is in it's entirety. Put on your headphones, close your eyes, and give yourself 44 minutes to have your life changed. And then go buy the album. And see them live, cause they're on tour now, and in California today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment