Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Crystal Fighters

Crystal Fighters may very well be my new favorite band. They're pretty freaking awesome. And I think in some ways they may be just the replacement I've been looking for since Brazilian Girls broke up (although newsflash: apparently they just got back together!). Their music doesn't sound at all like Brazilian Girls, but they've got that same eclectic, international sound. At least their accents and the fun percussion makes me feel that way. I guess that's what you get when you put a bunch of Spaniards together in London and let them do their thing. And when their thing is based on the unfinished writings of one of their grandfathers who went crazy.

They released their debut album, Star of Love, back in 2010, but it's only been available in the US since April of this year. That means that it is eligible for my Top 10 this year, and it's definitely a contender. The openening track, Solar System, is ridiculously good, which I love. Obviously I love it being ridiculously good, but especially so when the opening track is ridiculously good.




There are a ton of awesome songs on the album, but I basically keep going back and forth between Solar System and Champion Sound, which is probably my favorite track. I love the subtle build-up.




My only complaint is that there is a deluxe version of their album, not available to me, which has acoustic versions of a bunch of songs. Luckily they have like every song they've ever made on their SoundCloud, so you can go listen to everything there. And then buy Star of Love, cause it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment