Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Apr 5 - Pinkshinyultrablast

I am so tired today. I had another friend in town this weekend, so it was another big one. And it lasted 3 days because yesterday was Tomb Sweeping Day, a national holiday to celebrate one's ancestors and go and sweep their tombs, among other activities.

My friend David was visiting. I met David back when I lived in Beijing and he was my neighbor for a couple months. We got along really well, and kept in touch via Facebook, and now 6 years later he's in Shanghai for a week so we hung out. Originally the idea was to take a day trip out to Chongming Island on Saturday, which is a big island that's part of Shanghai and covered in nature reserves and stuff. But then it rained. So instead we found out that El Willy, one of my favorite restaurants here, does a 5 course brunch for RMB 198, and for an extra 100 you can get free flow wine and cava for 2 hours. So we did that instead. And then we went to my friend's house and drank more. We drank all day. Cause after the friends house we went bowling. And then we went to dinner. And finally I got home at like 11:30 after like 11 hours of marathon drinking. It was a good Saturday.

And it made for a pretty lazy Sunday. I pretty much just went to lunch with David (we were supposed to go to this weekend market, but they changed the dates without changing the ads, so we just ended up having lunch), and then dinner with my friend Julia at an amazing Italian place that I've been meaning to try (and now love). Otherwise, lots of couch time was had. I watched this Netflix show called Love. It wasn't great, actually. Which is disappointing cause it's Judd Apatow. I guess nobody's perfect, though.

And Monday was a big one. I helped my friend Graeme move, after which we went to Jump360, a massive trampoline park in the middle of nowhere. And apparently Asia's largest trampoline park. They not only have trampolines, but also a Ninja Warrior obstacle class, trampoline volleyball and trampoline basketball, bubble soccer... I mean, it's amazing. And I'm in so much pain today. And I realized how old I am. But it was so much fun. I want to go again for my birthday. Assuming I'm not this sore by then. I should go get a massage. I'll probably do that soon. But first, music.

Today's music is Pinkshinyultrablast, a post-punk/pop group from Russia. I don't think I have any other Russian musicians, so this is quite exciting. They make very fun, high energy, pretty ambient and somewhat noisy music that I guess is closest to pop-punk, but also kind of like pop. Hence the /. I guess the band name is actually a pretty accurate description of their sound. The closest thing I can think of is Jonsi, maybe. Which is a great association, right? They have a new album out called Grandfeathered, which I like very much. It does sound like a lot of the same-same, but I still like it. If I didn't have so much other music to catch up on, I'd probably go listen to their first album. But I will soon, I promise. For now, you can enjoy Glow Vastly, my favorite song off of Grandfeathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment