Monday, October 3, 2016

Oct 3 - River Whyless / Regina Spektor / Moses Sumney

I'm not gonna write anything long. I'll tell you about Sri Lanka when I'm back in China. I mean, I have had a lot of down time, so I could totally write something long. But I don't have a lot of downtime right now I guess. Anyway, here's a couple songs.

First one comes from River Whyless. They're from Asheville, North Carolina, which is a fantastic city. It also supposed to have a very good music scene. These guys are quite good. I can't help but think they're a Christian band when I listen to them, but I don't think they actually are. Maybe it's just the new album title, We All The Light. They do the whole male/female vocal thing that I love, and they have a generally good sound, though nothing breakthrough. I do very much like the song Kalangala, though. I had to google it to find out what Kalangala is, and according to Google it's a place in Uganda. No clue if that's what they're talking about, but I like how it sounds.





And since I haven't shared frequently this year, I feel like I can't just leave you with one song. Plus a lot happened in music this last week. There was the new Bon Iver album, which deserves it's own post. There was the new Banks album, which is good, but definitely not as good as the first. Not sure if I'll put anything from there on the blog. Also a new Moses Sumney EP, which is very very pretty, and for some reason ends with a song called Incantation which is basically him chanting Jewish prayers beautifully. And, last but not least, Regina Spektor's new album, Remember Us To Life. If you've read my blogs about her before, I'm not as obsessed with her as many others. Some people think this woman shits gold. I think that, on average, she's fine. But when she's good, she's really fucking good. This new album is definitely on par for her, and much better than the last one, which I found pretty disappointing. I'd say my favorite song on the album so far is probably Grand Hotel, so I'll also throw that in here for good measure.




Also for good measure, let's just throw in that Moses Sumney track Incantation, from the new EP Lamentations. I love the guy, I think traditional Jewish prayer melodies are often really beautiful, I think he made a really interesting and beautiful track that also confuses me a lot. And now I just want to know if he's Jewish or what the hell.


No comments:

Post a Comment