Friday, May 11, 2018

May 11 - Brazilian Girls / Sofi Tukker / Shelter Point

For some reason (probably because I'm at work), I just had the urge to start this blog post with "Dear Colleagues." Weird, right? Actually I always feel like that's a really weird way to start an email also. Maybe it's just like formal German style, and working for a German company (and never having worked for an American company) it's all I know and I think it's a weird German thing. Or is it American also? I doubt it. Who knows.

Anyway, Dear Readers. I am at work. It is Friday afternoon. I have been mildly busy today. And all week for that matter. I got to go to Hong Kong for the night this week, which was nice because I a) didn't have to come to the office, and b) got to go see Shuk-Wah who took me to a concert. So those were the good times.

Also I have not been sleeping. Ever since I got back from Europe it's been really bad. I never really get jetlagged, I'll maybe have like a day or max 2 days where I wake up at like 5am after I arrive. But this time, I have been up between 3:30 and 5:30 every day until Thursday morning. That's like a week of this shit. It is insane. I have had like 5 hours of sleep a night, and not because I'm out doing anything fun. I am going to bed early. But I can't sleep. It's very annoying. It's starting to get better now, finally, so hopefully it's all uphill from here. We'll see. I'll be in Singapore and Malaysia next week, which should also mean I don't have to get up super early for work and will maybe help as well. Who knows.

In the meantime, let's catch up on some fun music. Most of this is music I've shared in the past. Well, artists I have. Starting with Brazilian Girls. We all (meaning me and the 2 of you who read my blog on a normal basis) know I love them. We all (see previous note) know they have been working on their first album in like 10 years, called Let's Make Love. And now it is here. And it is an excellent album, but there is one song in particular that is super excellent, and that song is Balla Balla. I swear every time I'm walking down the street and I hear it I get a little bounce in my step and it is difficult not to break out into full dance. The only thing holding me back is shame and embarrassment. Powerful forces, those. But put this on at home, or in a place where dancing in public is appropriate, or in a place where it's not while you're drunk, and I dare you not to dance.




Sticking with the dancy sounds, it's Sofi Tukker. They also put out their debut album, Treehouse, just a few weeks ago, and it is a fun one. Which is exactly what you should have expected considering the music they were putting out previously. And the opening track, Fuck They, is probably my favorite. Super weird video, though. But great song. I was just thinking while listening to the album yesterday that they would be super fun to see live. I have a couple friends who have sen them, and have been told that my thinking is not wrong.





And then we move on to the chill dance music, compliments of Shelter Point. They are a UK band who I just found out about thanks to the track Feel, off of their newest EP, also called Feel. Apparently they were touring as support for Jack Garratt, who is also pretty great.


No comments:

Post a Comment