Wednesday, May 16, 2018

May 17 - TT / La Force / Hindu

I've spent the week in Malaysia so far this week, which, as usual, has been pretty uneventful. I never do anything there, cause I don't know anyone and stay way far away from Kuala Lumpur. So I watch lots of TV and movies. Or in this specific case, Netflix comedy specials since I have access to Netflix. The new one from Ali Wong is pretty solid. You should watch it, too.

But anyway, music. Today is all about solo projects. The first of said solo projects is TT, which is a solo project of Theresa Wayman, who is one of the members of Warpaint, which is one of my favorite bands. This is the second side project I'm aware of, after jennylee's 2015 solo album. She's got 3 singles out so far, but her album, LoveLaws, is out tomorrow. Most of the singles are pretty Warpainty, which is great, and today I'm sharing The Dream with you.




Then there's La Force. This is Ariel Engle, the newest member of Broken Social Scene, another one of my favorite bands. She just joined last year for their newest album Hug Of Thunder, and actually did the vocals on my favorite track Stay Happy (one of my favorite tracks of 2017, actually), and also Gonna Get Better, which I love. So now, just like every other member of Broken Social Scene, she is doing a side project as a solo artist and calling herself La Force. The first single, You Amaze Me, just came out a few days ago, and it's a great one. Also pretty Broken Social Sceney, which, again, is a great thing.




And lastly we've got Hindu. She is a new artist, but she is not a spin-off of any other band. She's just doing her own thing. Literally. Hindu is the brainchild of Ukrainian singer Tania Iankovska, who decided to start a "band" by herself and see just what she could do while eschewing the traditional concept of a "band." Meaning she's a solo artist who does everything herself and doesn't want to work with anyone else. But she's doing a pretty good job so far. I just heard her new song Gorgeous yesterday, and it immediately reminded me of Grimes. Which is also a great thing (at least Art Angels Grimes is a great thing, pre-Art Angels Grimes was pretty hit or miss for me). She's got a couple other singles, which are also pretty great, and an older EP which is more watered down but has the potential to be as great as the newer singles. I think she probably got shinier toys and things to work with after that first EP though, since she got signed to some small record label and moved to London. But yeah, this is a great start for a new artist.


No comments:

Post a Comment