Wednesday, May 23, 2018

May 23 - Iron & Wine / Royce Wood Junior

So yesterday was my birthday. I didn't really plan anything. I just wasn't feeling it. I'm usually big on birthdays, but this year I kind of don't care. Not sure what changed, but that's how it is. But my sister is here and she wanted to plan something for me. She had to plan it today, though, not yesterday, because she's working in a gym and had to work last night after her day job. I have no idea what she has planned for tonight, but she's planned it together with my friend Julia, which does have me slightly concerned they will do something ridiculous. Because put those two together... But we'll see. I'll report back next time.

In my mind, my celebration was last Sunday. Except it wasn't a celebration per-se. Iron & Wine was in town and had a concert on Sunday night, so that was my birthday celebration. Hanna came along, as did my friend Eddie and a couple of his friends, but nobody else. We did tell people about it, but I didn't publicize too much. It seems a bit weird to be like "hey guys, come do this thing for my birthday that's going to be quiet and in the dark and we aren't going to talk to each other." Doesn't sound like the most fun. Maybe if it was a more fun concert I would have publicized more. But I didn't. And actually I didn't care, because I was just so happy that Iron & Wine was coming. Honestly, when I saw the tickets go on sale, I was wondering if it was a mistake. The entire time leading up to the concert, I was sure it would get cancelled. I mean, it's Iron & Wine. What the hell was he doing in China? It made no sense. But then he was here, and it was beautiful and wonderful and amazing. And he brought a full band (I thought it might just be him, which would make a very quiet and calm concert) which made it much more lively and wonderful. And he played songs from his entire career. I thought he'd maybe only do Beast Epic, the new album from last year. But no. He went all the way back to Jesus The Mexican Boy and Bird Stealing Bread and Passing Afternoon, from his earliest EPs and albums in the early 2000s. It was so good. He did change up a bunch of songs, which I also usually appreciate, but when he did it to one of my favorites (Boy With A Coin) I kind of wished he hadn't. I love that song, and this being the only time I've seen him live, I wanted it the way it should have been. But I guess it's a good thing he changes it up live. And he was talkative and funny. I would have expected him to be completely silent and just say thank you a few times. But not at all. So all expectations were exceeded. It was great. And he did also do a few solo songs in the middle of the set before bringing the full band back in. That section ended with Passing Afternoon, which is a beautiful song, and which was even better live with the full band (and which I am playing for you today). It was the best song of the whole night, in fact. And from there, he went right into Call It Dreaming, which is the best song off Beast Epic and was the second best song of the night. It was so good! I was very happy. It made for an excellent birthday celebration.





As for the actual birthday, it was a great day, despite having not done very much. It started with going to work as usual, but I found a 100 RMB fapiao in the subway. For those of you who don't know, fapiao are official tax invoices in China, which can be used to make tax-free claims. So it was basically as good as finding money. Then I had a nice day at work without being too busy. Then I went home and Hanna bought me cake. Then I went to yoga, which I usually do on Tuesdays, but my instructor knew it was my birthday so she asked if I wanted to hear anything special or work on anything special, so we did a few back twists. I didn't have any music requests, though, cause she's got great music taste (it's a big part of why I only do yoga with her), so I just left it up to her. And she finished off the class with another beautiful and chilled out song, called Valentine Virus Par II (Ode to Prod) by Royce Wood Junior. It's pretty old, seems to be off his first EP Rover, from back in 2014. He has one album, which has a couple good tracks, but anyway this song is by far his best so you get to listen to it today.





So it was yoga, then dinner, then cupcakes, then bed. Very relaxed day, but very good day. And today, we actually celebrate. So I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment