Tuesday, May 29, 2018

May 29 - Tom Misch / Laura Misch / Saint Sister

I had an impromptu mini-vacay last week. I had a business trip down to Xiamen on Friday and the plan was to go down in the morning and back in the evening. Actually, I wanted to go on Thursday night so I could eat these noodles I love, but then my friend Julia was in town and it was her last night so I didn't. But anyway, I got stuck down there, and leaving Thursday would not have made a difference. Shanghai had crazy rain and thunder and lightning, and apparently over 600 flights were cancelled or redirected. Including 2 I was scheduled to be on. But then I finally got onto a late night flight, leaving at 9pm. Which kept getting delayed. So once it got delayed for the 3rd time, with an estimated departure at 12:30, I decided to wait until the next day. Which meant I couldn't leave before 3pm, because everyone who was on the cancelled flights Friday was trying to get onto other flights.

Anyway, long story short, I got stuck overnight. So I just booked a nice hotel with an ocean view and ate a bunch of the noodles I love. Also, since I had Saturday morning there, I did a bit of exploring. First, I went to this temple with a big mountain behind it that I climbed up for a view of the city, and then I went to Xiamen's art district, called Shapowei. It doesn't seem to actually be an art district, but it does have some pretty awesome shops and restaurants. All of which were closed even though they were supposed to be open. But despite that, I thought the place was super cool and I want to go when it's actually open. Also, I bought myself a bunch of clothes because I didn't take anything so why the hell not? I needed some, but I bought more than some. But whatever, it was fine. So in the end, it turned out to be really nice! And anyway, I've always liked Xiamen. That city's got a great vibe, really chill and tropical. And the delicious noodles definitely help.

While I was there I was listening to this woman Laura Misch, who is the sister of Tom Misch, who I wrote about a few years ago and thought I wrote about again this year, but apparently haven't. Well, Tom Misch finally released his official debut album called Geography, which is exactly what you'd expect of him. Really great, pretty chill R&B. And, as usual, he's collaborated with Loyle Carner on my favorite song from the album, Water Baby. All in all, a great debut. Maybe not up to the level that I expected, but solid.





And as it turns out, he has a sister named Laura who also makes music. And she plays the saxophone. She put out her own little album called Carnival last year, which I never knew about. But then I heard this song Lagoon, which is a new single, and which is really great. Not at all like what her brother does, but also great. Talented family, those Misches.





I originally thought I was going to share two Laura Misch songs with you. I thought I was going to share this song Twin Peaks. But turns out it isn't Laura Misch. It just sounded similar to her previous LP, and I had put it into a playlist right after her. It's actually by Saint Sister, who apparently I have heard a bunch of songs by but never written about because their other songs are just ok. But this one I like, even if I'm not a Twin Peaks fan myself. So I know nothing about them because I never cared enough to look it up, and then didn't even realize this song was by them. So enjoy listening and knowing nothing else.


No comments:

Post a Comment