Thursday, February 21, 2019

Feb 21 - Toro Y Moi / Y La Bamba

Jeez things have been crazy. And by things I mean work things. Just so busy. So much going on. I have a new employee who is taking up all my time in training (she's great, just a TON to get her up to speed on as quickly as possible), plus a very difficult employee I'm dealing with at the moment, and all the work I'm supposed to be doing but don't have time to because I'm dealing with those two. Oy.

On the personal side, things are very quiet. Not much going on. Just lots of concerts upcoming. And a bit of travel. But otherwise, just so so these days.

But on the music side, I need to catch up. So I'm starting by sharing my favorite tracks from two of my favorite albums of the year so far. I know it's only February, but there have been some damn good ones so far. And the two I'm sharing today are both albums which I'm surprised at how much I like.

The first artist is Toro Y Moi. I always thought he was fine, but that was it. But he has this new album, Outer Peace, that is just amazing. Everything about it is so good. It is super funky and dancey and fun. And weird. I love it so much. I already wrote about him last year, when I shared the track Freelance, which was one of the first singles off this album. And I still love that one. But there's so many other good ones, too. Like Who I Am. So good. So funky. So dancey. So delicious.




So I actually saw him with a friend in New York a few years ago, even though I wasn't a huge fan. But how this song makes me feel is exactly how fun I remember the show being. That's a pretty damn good sign, no? Now I really want to see him live again. But back to the funk. So much funk. So good. So sexy. So delicious. Here's Ordinary Pleasure. Which will bring you so much more than just ordinary pleasure.





Then the other band is Y La Bamba. I found out about this band a couple years ago when they released their last album, which I loved. Especially the opening track, Ojos Del Sol. Such a gorgeous song. Well now they've released a new album, Mujeres, and it's great. As in the past, a mix of English and Spanish indie rock. And the best tracks this time are in Spanish. Which was probably the case last time, too. There are two stand-out tracks, though, the first of which is the title track, Mujeres.




My other favorite, Bruja de Brujas, does chill out a bit, but actually is also quite similar, I think. Just with the choral style vocals. Not as faced paced, but still pretty quick here. And, quite repetitive. But wonderful. Really wonderful. As is the whole album.


No comments:

Post a Comment