Friday, February 22, 2019

Feb 23 - Julia Jacklin / Carla Geneve

I went to a hoe down for the first time last night. In Australia. Because apparently country line dancing and square dancing are a big part of Australia culture. When I say big part, I mean it's probably about as big as it is in America. So everyone knows it, everyone's done it, and most people even had to learn to do it in elementary school. I was very surprised. But out here they call it bush dancing. So when my friends invited me, I imagined that it was a big dance out in the woods somewhere with a lot of people on drugs. But no. It was just a bunch of people dressed up like cowboys doing line dancing. And it was fantastic. So much fun. Not something I am going to make a hobby out of, but great time.

Also I think I drank more last night than any other night since I moved to Australia. It was like being back in Shanghai.

I've also noticed this week that I seem to be listening to a lot of folk rocky ladies lately. Not so folky, more rocky, but definitely folk influenced. This may be my sound of the year. We'll see. But right now, I'm really into it. So I'm sharing some of this type of music, and all Australian.

Up first we have Hay Plain, which is not a new song. It is a few years old. But I just got really into it. It's by Julia Jacklin, who I had heard prior to moving here, but who I did not particularly get into until I moved here. And more because I found out about her band Phantastic Ferniture, which I blogged about already. So then I went and listened again, and really fell in love with Hay Plain, off her 2016 debut album Don't Let The Kids Win. And actually, I'd been hearing a lot of her because she just released her new album, Crushing, yesterday, so all the singles would pop up on various playlists over the last few months. And there are some good ones. But Hay Plain is still her best.





The other rocky Australian lady is Carla Geneve, from Perth. I found out about her because I went to see Cat Power, and she was the opener. I had only gone because a friend really likes Cat Power, and I thought it would be nice (it was). And it's live music, so why not, right? Anyway, this woman Carla Geneve opened, and I was pretty blown away. Which is very rare for someone whose music I have never heard and who I'm seeing for the first time as a live act. And, to make it even more impressive, it was just her and her guitar. Not even a live band. But her voice is great. And her songs and melodies and everything. She doesn't have a lot of music (at that point only 2 songs on Spotify, now up to 3), but I'll share 2 of them with you. Starting off with Listening, which is one of those first two.





Imagine that acoustic. It's much better than you're imagining. Also because her voice is actually so powerful. Which doesn't come out on a recording like this. But damn. Anyway, here's another song by her. This one is 2001, the new one. I love how it builds. Plus especially at the end there you really get a hint of how strong her vocals really are. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her again.


No comments:

Post a Comment