Thursday, November 3, 2016

Nov 3 - TALA / Banks

I think I still owe you the end of my Sri Lanka trip. Man, that was like a month ago. I'm so bad at this. I think I left off in the tea highlands? Maybe? Well, I went to them. Everyone said to go, and I totally wanted to, cause they're supposed to be beautiful. And they are indeed beautiful. And everyone also said to take the train, but I was like whatever we can just drive through. But it's super cheap so I decided to do it. And I'm so glad I did, cause it was maybe the best part of the trip. Yes, we could just drive through the highlands. And we did. And they were very nice. But the train goes where the cars don't, through tiny villages and along cliffs, with absolutely incredible views. Also, it's big and blue and really cool. And it makes for great pictures. It was awesome.

From there, it was down to the beaches for a few days. We stayed in a town called Mirissa along the south coast. It was supposed to be a pretty chilled out couple days with time on the beach and a visit to Galle, the old colonial town in the area. It was mostly that, but then we also went whale watching. We saw blue whales and I almost got really sick. I never get seasick but this was really bad. I had to take pills. Which the guys who run the trips know everyone needs, because they just have them for you free, included in the tour. So it was great to see the whales, but I did not feel very good most of the time.

After the beach, it was just back to Colombo to eat McDonald's (literally that is what we did. Rei loves to try it in every country to see what's different, so we went to check it out. She had curry and rice. I had a chicken big mac). Then I had dinner with my friends in Colombo while Rei went to the airport, before it was my turn to go to the airport.

During that trip, Banks released her new album, The Altar. I actually have yet to buy it. I've listened a bunch of times, an there are some great tracks on it. Like Lovesick, for example.




Really great track. I totally want this album. It's not as good as Goddess, her first one, but it is a solid album. But I haven't bought it because I'm sure she's going to put out a deluxe version. She did with Goddess, and it included like all the songs from the EPs that came out before. So I'm waiting for the deluxe version of The Altar, which will hopefully also come with Better, the single she put out between albums for no reason I'm aware of, but which is wonderful. But in the meantime, I'll just keep streaming the album, and listening to all the great tracks, like Haunt.




And then the other day I was at my friends restaurant and a song came on, and I thought it was Banks. I mean, it sounded like Banks, but it was not a song I'd ever heard (and I'm very confident I've heard all of her songs). So I asked the guy DJing and he sadly told me he didn't have the name there but he was pretty sure that it was someone featuring Banks on vocals. So I went on Spotify and managed to find the song Wolfpack, which is produced by TALA, with Banks on vocals. I'm not sure this is the song I heard, but it is a fantastic song. So here it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment