Saturday, November 3, 2018

Nov 3 - ESKA / Yazmin Lacey

Once again, I'm here catching up. Because things were nuts over the last two weeks when I was in China. The family came to visit so I was super busy with that, and then also had to help my sister get ready to move, and also the government was being particularly strict on the internet. So I have not written anything. But I'm back in Australia for a couple of weeks and I will take advantage of these two weeks and catch up on music.

So I'm going to spend at least the next 3 days sharing music with you. And the next 3 days is only women. After that, I've got a couple days worth of music by men or male-led groups to share. But these next 3 days are all women. Now I have accountability.

Starting out with ESKA. She's a British signer-songwriter who put out an album like 3 years ago, but I'm just now hearing about her, thanks to some great live clips Moses Sumney posted on his instagram. Apparently she was even nominated for the Mercury Prize, but I guess I just never noticed. Well, she is quite interesting. Only the one album, but it is a unique listen, so I'll share a couple songs, starting with Rock of Ages.





Really beautiful, and kind of strange. And it continues with Shades of Blue I definitely don't LOVE her, but I really like her and find her very interesting. And definitely worth my (and your) time.





And then we've got Yazmin Lacey, who I also found via Instagram. Although she was through a clip of her Tiny Desk concert on NPR. Nothing too unique about her, I guess. Just really good soul music. And a fantastic voice. And I guess if you can catch my attention in a 60 second live clip, that's a good thing. And she did. She's got 2 EPs (both of which I rushed to buy), so we'll go chronologically, starting with Still, my favorite track from her 2017 EP, Black Moon.




And then this year she followed it up with When The Sun Dips 90 Degrees, another great EP. Favorite song on there is probably Body Needs Healing. Actually, I think Black Moon is the better EP. But both great. And these are two fantastic songs. So hopefully 2019 finally means an album.







No comments:

Post a Comment