Thursday, November 8, 2018

Nov 9 - Kurt Vile / How To Dress Well / Peter Bjorn & John / Toro y Moi

Today was a strange day at work. The morning was super busy and by lunch time it felt like I'd spet 2 days at the office. Then the afternoon was totally dead. Not totally dead, really, just slow, so I played some catch up. And I had to demote someone this morning. That wasn't fun. For either of us, I'm sure. But I guess it went better than I had expected. About as well as you could expect. So now it's a quiet Friday night for me. I think I'll take myself out for a nice dinner nearby. But before that, as promised, day 2 of the man music.

Today's underlying theme is artists I enjoy who have recently put out very, very good music. Or at least one very, very good song. Starting out with Kurt Vile. Kurt Vile has had a few very, very good songs, but overall just good songs. Well now his new album Bottle It Up is maybe my favorite album by him. And this song One Trick Ponies, which was one of the singles, is maybe his best song. Ever. Although, when I did see him live, he did lay that song Downbound Train that was pretty fantastic live. But we're here for One Trick Ponies today.





Next up is How To Dress Well. A weird guy, this one. Sometimes really good. Sometimes just really out there. And sometimes really boring. Well he's also got a new album called The Anteroom and it's probably his best album to date as well. But overall, gets a bit boring and repetitive, but maybe cause he kind of repeats some songs with small changes and different lyrics at different points in the album. Like I said, weird guy. But Nonkilling 6 | Hunger is really, really good.





Up next is someone I have not heard from in a very, very long time - Peter Bjorn and John. These Swedes have been around for years, and I think they have been making music regularly, but I just haven't paid much attention. They had that one great song about the knee bone and the ankle bone (I think it was called Collarbone, it was not the nursery rhyme), and that was a great song, but since then, I've paid zero attention. But now Gut Feeling has come out as a single off their new album (pretty poppy album, not very interesting or inventive, so not for me) and it's a pretty fun song. So it's also on here. And more upbeat and less sad than the last two songs, so better as we head into the weekend.





And now to close us out with a really fun song for the weekend is Toro y Moi, with his new single Freelance. This album is not actually out yet, this is just the first single off the new album, but it is a great and super fun song. I saw this guy in NYC years ago, and he was super fun live also. But on albums, he's usually just ok. I feel like this is going to be like Blood Orange, where there's one or two great songs, but overall I'm not a huge fan. But this song, I am a huge fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment