Saturday, November 3, 2018

Nov 4 - Lala Lala / Georgia / boygenius

We're back on the blog today, as promised. And, as promised, it's more music made by ladies today. There's a lot of good stuff lately by ladies. Much more than by the boys.

Before I get into it, one exciting thing: I finished furniture shopping! More or less. I still need some lamps. And probably some other small things. And I'm still waiting for all of my things to arrive from China. There's a fun story. I rushed to pack everything up and get it out on Sept 23, and then it was supposed to take 5-6 weeks including customs clearance time, arriving early November. Which is perfect since I'm in Australia in early November. Except the company lied to me and told me it would arrive then, but they actually didn't plan to ship it until October 19. Which means it will now arrive November 12, then take 15 days to clear customs, at which point I will be back in China. So I only get it in early December when I'm back for like a week. Fun. But whatever, I got my furniture. There is one bed I bought that is also delayed, so that's also only coming to me early December, but the rest of it should arrive next Saturday. After that I know I still need to get some lamps, and I know that I will still need to buy some pieces here and there, but I'm done. It will probably look horrible. I'm convinced it will look horrible. But I will find out next weekend...

Ok now on to the music, starting with Lala Lala, the project of Chicago-based Lillie West, who has just put out her second album, The Lamb. I first heard Water Over Sex off of that album, and I think the first time I heard it I wasn't too blown away. But then I heard it a few more times in random places and liked it more and more. I love the lo-fi rock feel.





So apparently West was always drunk and high in the past while making music and is now sober, and that's what opening track Destroyer is about - getting sober. And it is probably the best track on the album. Overall, the album is pretty solid. These two tracks are definite standouts, while the rest just kind of moves along sounding very similar. Good sound, but not a lot of variety. Except in these two. And we all know how I love a good opening track. And that chorus is fantastic.





Then this week we had the new single from Georgia come out, and this song is a banger. Wait until that chorus comes in and the beat drops. Cause damn. This girl put out an album in 2015 when she was like 17 or 21 or something. I don't know. But she was very young and did everything herself and made extremely interesting, unique pop music. And she's finally back and at it again with the single Started Out. This is a great start for album 2. And a very fun video.





And the last track for today is from boygenius. In case you were wondering, the theme here today is alternative music, as opposed to yesterday's R&B and tomorrow's Latin. So boygenius is a supergroup made of Lucy Dacus (fantastic), Phoebe Bridgers and Julien Baker (both good). And when they come together, they are very good. Very, very good. No idea if it's just a single EP they're putting out or if this is going to be a longer thing, but they have an EP called boygenius out now and it's great. Favorite track is probably the opener Bite the Hand, although Salt in the Wound is also great. But we'll go with the opener, cause it was also a single. But for some reason not on Youtube? None of their songs are. So Spotify embed it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment