Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Nov 8 - Beirut / Zero 7

Ok, we're going to start 3 days in a row again. This time all male or male-led artists/bands. And today's underlying theme is artists I love who have released new music after a very long time of not releasing music. There are two of them.

Before I get into music, I guess I should talk about something. Specifically I should tell you about the big family trip to China. But I'm exhausted this week. It has been a very long week at work, and very busy. And this Saturday I will just be sitting at home waiting for the last of the furniture to arrive, so I can write a longer blog then.

For now, I guess I can tell you I am in Brisbane, at the airport, waiting to go back to Sydney. And I can't wait for the weekend. I'm trying out yoga at a gym near my place, which is a beautiful gym in a wonderful old building, which also has a fantastic coffee shop and restaurant and cinema and boutique hotel. And the gym is on the rooftop, so we do yoga with great views. And I made 2 new friends, a couple (I think) who also just moved here from Shanghai, and they're coming with! So it will be a good Saturday morning, followed by a long Saturday day sitting at home, writing about my trip with my family, maybe taking a nap, and probably finishing the newest season of House of Cards, which I just started. Oh, and finding new language tutors on iTalki. I need that, too.

And now on to the music. The first one is Beirut. That's right, he's back! And his new music is very much like his very old music when he first started getting buzz and making music. So Eastern European / Balkan influenced folk rock. What's not to love about that?? he had moved into more of the electronic indie folk direction on the last album, so it's nice to see him going back to those roots I love. He put out a song called Gallipoli a couple of weeks ago, which is the first single and title track off a new album he's working on, due out next February (Actually, I've just learned he's subsequently released another song as well, but it's just an instrumental called Corfu). And in even better news, I need to be in Munich for a trade show from April 8 - 14, and he plays a concert in Munich on April 15. I know what I'll be doing after the show!





The next one feels like they've been gone for even longer than Beirut was, but that's not actually true. They haven't put out an album since 2009, but they've had a few EPs, the most recent being 2015's EP3. And 2015 was also Beirut's last release, although that was a full album. The band I'm talking about is Zero 7, by the way. Probably should have said that earlier.

As in the past, Zero 7 has teamed up with a fantastic but unknown vocalist, this time named Hidden. Past notable collaborators include Jose Gonzalez and Sia. You may have heard of them. At this point, it's just one track, but they say there's more coming. So look forward to it!






No comments:

Post a Comment