Sunday, December 8, 2019

Dec 9 - Jon Hopkins & Kelly Lee Owens / Ludo Pimenta / Khruangbin & Leon Bridges

I don't know what's going on with me today, but I am exhausted. I didn't sleep that well, and I just can't get my head right. Total case of the Mondays. Which is not so common for me. But I'll just leave the office a bit early, I guess. And put off work as much as possible. And one way to do that is to share the new songs I heard over the weekend that I really liked.

First is THE song of the weekend, Luminous Spaces by Jon Hopkins & Kelly Lee Owens. I quite like Kelly Lee Owens, and Jon Hopkins is alright, but teamed up, they're great. So the song actually started out on Jon Hopkins's album 2018 album Singularity as a song called Luminous Beings. But it's now been shorted (from 12 minutes to 7), vocals by Kelly Lee Owens were added, and it got renamed. And I think they did a bit with the bassline and beats as well. And I love it. I listened to it so many times this weekend.





Then there's Lido Pimienta, who I actually heard on Friday before the weekend actually got started, and the only reason I didn't listen to her over the weekend is because I couldn't remember her name. She's put out her "first" single No Pude. Well, first single I know. She had an EP back in like 2016, which apparently won some Canadian music prizes, but now she's got this single that's fantastic. Much like Tei Shi or Daniela Andrade, she was born in South America (Colombia) and is now based in North America (Toronto) making Spanish indietronica (a term I learned from my Spotify 2019 wrapped summary, and which I apparently listen to a lot of. But if it sounds like this, then I want to listen to more).





And last up is another collaboration between two greats. But this time from very different genres. It's Khruangbin and Leon Bridges. The connection here is Texas, where they're all from. So they decided to make an EP together, and have released the first track called Texas Sun, which kind of perfectly blends Leon Bridges's smooth, soulful sound, with the chill funk of Khruangbin. Never would have put these two together, but I'm feeling it.


No comments:

Post a Comment