Friday, April 28, 2017

April 29 - Feist / Sylvan Esso / Overcoats

This has been a totally crazy week. But now it's over and I've left China and I'm sitting at the lounge in Istanbul on the way to Munich, where I'll spend a day before going to Croatia for a few days vacation, then back to Germany for work. I don't have much time to talk about how crazy this last week was because I have to board soon, but the one item that does bear mention is that my friend Jasmine came to visit, which was wonderful. I'll talk more about that and other things next time though. I'll be on my own in Croatia, so I think I'll have plenty of time to write, maybe even each day.

But I have to write about music today, because it was an exciting day. First, the new Feist album came out. It's called Pleasure, and I've written about it before, but now that it's actually here, I'm very excited. I'm pretty sure this one is going to end up in my top 10 (along with Future Islands and Dirty Projectors, in case you were wondering. But we've still got 8 months to go.). There are some fantastic songs on the album, but I think my favorite is Century, which was the 2nd single and features Jarvis Cocker.





It's actually a tough choice, because Any Party is also amazing. It's the first point in the album that really got me going. So whatever, I'll give you both.




But that's not all, Sylvan Esso's new album also came out today! This one is What Now, and I've also written about it before, and am also very excited it's finally here. But I'm not sure it'll be in my top 10 yet. Not as obviously so as the others I mentioned. I've actually shared a couple songs from the album, the two lead singles, and it turns out those are my favorite songs on the album. So since I shared the first single last year, that means I can share it again this year. So I'll play you Radio again.





And then we have a new band, Overcoats. I also wrote about them last year, and their song Smaller Than My Mother. Now they've released their debut album, Young. Last year, I said they reminded me of First Aid Kit. Which is still true, based on the overall album sound. But then they completely changed the sound of Smaller Than My Mother. It's like a remixed version or something, and it's still really good. I was really surprised when I heard it, but then oddly the rest of the album did not follow this sound. Also, the original version of this song seems to have disappeared from the internet. So I'm sharing it again in it's new form, which is really great.


No comments:

Post a Comment