Wednesday, May 10, 2017

May 10 - Peter Silberman / Woods / Perfume Genius

Once again I am in an airport lounge, this time Istanbul (again) on the way back to Shanghai. The work event was a pretty big success, I'd say. I think I told you I was in Germany for a work event after Croatia, right? It was our annual In-House Exhibition, where we display our latest product offerings and bring in thousands of customers from around the world. I go to help coordinate for our Asia customers and to have meetings. Seems like everyone had a good time, myself included. Plus I got to go down to Munich on Saturday afternoon and yesterday before flying out today and spent time with the Mangs, which is always a pleasure. Actually last night was really nice. Normally after the kids go to sleep I just hang out with Yasmin and Andy, chatting and maybe watching some TV, usually with a glass of wine or a beer. That's exactly what we did last night, but my parents and sister joined us on Skype and we basically just all hung out together. We weren't necessarily even talking the whole time. But it was really nice. I've never really just hung out on Skype like that. Usually if I call my family we talk. But it was really nice. I feel like I should do it more. I also feel like I should talk to my family more often. I usually only do it for like an hour at a time and have a big conversation every week or two. But there's no reason not to call for like 5 minutes to just say hi more often, right? So I think I'll do that.

Ok enough of that. So if you haven't noticed, I've started sharing multiple artists in each post, with mostly just a single song from each. There's a couple reasons, but mostly it's because I find a lot of songs I like and just don't write often enough to share them. When I was doing my song of the day a couple years ago it was fine, but now I'm not doing that. And I'm probably not going to do it again. So even though it's always felt a bit weird and kind of lazy to me to do it this way, I'm going to keep doing it. But generally I do try to play you songs that I feel are somehow related.

Today's first song is from Peter Silberman, the lead singer of Beach House. He put out a solo EP recently, titled Impermanence. It's pretty, if a bit boring, but the opening track, Karuna, is really beautiful.





Now it's on to Woods. It seems they've got a ton of albums, but I only found out about them recently, thanks to the song Hit That Drum, which is off their latest EP, Love Is Love. The link here is twofold. First, I think these songs feel very similar. Something about the mood and the way they build is similar. This is the good connection. The not so good connection is that they are both the only stand out tracks on otherwise somewhat boring EPs.




And last we have Perfume Genius, who just put out his new album, No Shape. He was on everyone's radar a couple of years ago with his last album, Too Bright, but I wasn't a huge fan. And for this album, I'm also not a huge fan. It's better than the last one (I didn't listen to the older ones), and better than the EPs from today's other artists, but still just ok. But Slip Away, which was the first single off this album, is amazing. So much fun. This one is not really linked musically to the other two, I just love it and want to share it. So I'm sharing it. Plus I figured I'd pick up a bit as we went through the songs. Lucky you for making it this far!


No comments:

Post a Comment