Friday, May 19, 2017

May 19 - Broen / Hazel English

There are two songs I've had on repeat for the last 24 hours. The first one is <3, by Broen. Yes, that's the song name. I can only assume it's pronounced "heart." Anyway, I heard it yesterday, then I listened to it like 5 more times, and then the same today. This is the first official single from the Norwegian band, after being signed to Bella Union, the same label as Beach House and Father John Misty. Although that's where the similarities end. This song starts out with a super weird spoken intro, then sounds kind of reminiscent of some Comfort Woman era Meshell Ndegeocello, before picking up with a pretty great cymbal hit and guitar riff around 2:45. Fantastic song. Their other stuff is ok, and their official 2nd single isn't nearly this good, but this has got me pretty excited.




The other song that's been stuck in my head (and therefore also on repeat when I'm not listening to <3) is Love Is Dead, off of Hazel English's debut album, Just Give In/Never Going Home, that came out last week. Although I guess technically it's a double EP? Not sure how that works. Anyway, this is definitely her best song. I talked about her in a blog post earlier this year, so I don't need to say much, just play you this song.


No comments:

Post a Comment