Wednesday, May 17, 2017

May 17 - JFDR / 6LACK

I am so so tired. I have been sleeping horribly all week. Well, that's not completely true. I've slept fine, just not enough. I was up at 5 on Monday, 4:30 yesterday, and 5:45 today. I don't know what's going on with me. But I need to go to bed early. So I'm going to write this, shower, and go to bed. For your reference, it's 8:30.

Today we get two new artists who I just heard in the last few days, both of whom are quite impressive. Not only did I just learn about both of them, but they both write their stage names in all caps. So they're basically the same person, right?

First up is JFDR from Iceland. This is the solo project of one of the twin sisters from Pascal Pinon (who are just so-so), and she's also the lead singer of Samaris (who are pretty good). Her solo stuff is definitely her best, though. Very Bjorky. Which is always a good thing. Her debut album, Brazil, came out in March, and it's pretty lovely. So here's Wires.




And then there's 6LACK. For some reason he popped up in the header in the iTunes store recently, which isn't what made me listen to him. It's just what made me see his name. But then I was looking at the FYF festival lineup yesterday to make sure that Little Dragon is performing and I didn't make that up (they are and I didn't) and saw his name. So I thought I'd give him a listen. And I'm glad I did, cause he's somehow reminiscent of Frank Ocean. Which, much like being Bjorky, is always a good thing. He put out his debut album, FREE 6LACK, last November. It started out just ok, but about halfway in it started getting better and better. I actually haven't finished listening yet, but the song Gettin' Old came on and I fell in love with it and had to share it on the blog right now. So that is why I'm here writing this whole thing at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment