Thursday, May 25, 2017

May 25 - Local Natives / D-Pulse / Bruno Pernadas

Goodness, I haven't written in a long time. I'm in Malaysia now, and very busy. Busy during the day, not so busy in the evenings. Which is nice, because I've been waiting to catch up on some Netflix stuff. I finished Maria Bamford's show Lady Dynamite, and now I'm halfway through Master of None Season 2, and next will be Season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Good times.

Other good times were had for my birthday last weekend! Yay birthdays! I wasn't sure I'd actually be around for it on Monday because I might have been on a plane to Singapore or Malaysia. In the end I was, but since I wasn't sure I just organized a little brunch on Sunday with some close friends. That turned into wine at the dog park and Shanghainese dinner. It was really a fantastic day, and now I know about this giant park where you can sit on the grass (an uncommon allowance in China) and bring dogs (another uncommon allowance at parks in China), so I will probably be spending much more time there this summer.

That was all I had planned, but then since I didn't fly off on Monday my friends planned a little something of their own. I wasn't sure what to expect, all I knew was that I was to meet them after work. Luckily after work meant 11am, becase we had to shut the office early for a government environmental regulation spot check or something like that. So I left! Thanks Shanghai government for the birthday present! So I met up with a couple friends for happy hour first, and then was kidnapped. I was taken by my friends Graeme and Julia to meet my friend Nikki. Then they blindfolded me and tied my hands up and put me in a taxi. After about 40 minutes in the taxi they put headphones in, took me out and walked me around for like 10 minutes. I was very confused. But once they unblindfolded me, we were at The Cheesecake Factory! And other friends were there! They opened on near Disneyland last year and I've been talking about going ever since it opened, and now I've been. And it's exactly like back home. It was delicious and disgusting and all the portions were so huge. I loved it. It was a happy birthday. And then I woke up very early to fly to Malaysia.

I was thinking of blogging about this earlier, but didn't. But anyway I am now. But anyway the consideration was what I should post for my birthday. It had to be good. And luckily Local Natives randomly put out a new, really good single, called The Only Heirs. Not sure what it's from, but it's good!





This is actually the second random single they've released, after I Saw You Close Your Eyes. Maybe this means something good coming? Well just in case it's not, here's I Saw You Close Your Eyes, cause it's also great.




And then there's a bit of a backlog to get through. First is D-Pulse, a weird Russian band. Interesting Russian band. They make very interesting music. Their newest album, Serpentine, is very interesting. And it has this song Anna, which is amazing. It's slinky and sultry and sexy and covered in honey. Reminds me of Soft Hair. Super weird. Super good (at least this song. Other songs are good, but not super good).




And then I've got a bit more interesting foreign music, from Bruno Pernadas. This guy is a Portuguese multi-instrumentalist and producer making some really interesting stuff also. He's fusing jazz and world music and all kinds of other influences to make songs that sound like everything from Broken Social Scene to Tuareg rock or Brazilian jazz. Very interesting. And I'd say on average better than D-Pulse. This song, Problem Number 6 off of the amazingly titled album Those Who Throw Objects at the Crocodiles Will Be Asked to Retrieve Them, is amazing. Sadly it ends very abruptly because on the album it blends right into the next song. So as a stand alone it leaves you wanting more. But it's so good! And go listen to the whole album.


No comments:

Post a Comment