Sunday, May 14, 2017

May 15 - The National / Lo Tom / Crystal Castles

Another great weekend with great weather, that ended too short. But, it is nice to be back in Shanghai! The highlight was probably seeing Crystal Castles, who played in Shanghai on Saturday night. I found out like 3 days before the show that they were coming. The publicity was terrible. But at least I found out and went, and it was an awesome show. It was pretty much exactly what I expected, but better. They had an actual drummer, which was unexpected, but totally great. He really pulled it together in a lot of ways. It was somehow hypnotic, too. I mean, the beers probably helped, but I think it was also the music and the lights. So I danced a lot. And then I also ate a lot this weekend (as usual) and said goodbye to two friends who move back to the US today. Sad times.

Anyway I'm not playing you Crystal Castles today. Quite the opposite. Today's music comes to you compliments of middle aged emo men. I shouldn't call them emo, because emo is the worst. But many of their sentiments are very melancholic and sad and lonely, which they share with emo. So I guess it's like shitty emo music makers who only knew how to complain and make terrible sounds with their instruments who then grew up and learned how to be poetic and realized what good music sounds like. And the first one is The National. Fantastic band. One of the best bands I've seen live. And they just put out The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness, the first single off their upcoming album Sleep Well Beast. Can't wait for that one! I'm just said they're playing with Daughter in LA when I'm not there, because that would be a great show.





Then there's this new band Lo Tom, which seems to be some sort of super group or something, made of 4 men who have worked together and apart on various projects for a very long time, and now are working all together on the same project. I know nothing about them or their other projects, but I do like Overboard, the first single from this new group they've got.





OK I lied. I am going to play you Crystal Castles. An old one. Baptism, off of II. This is when they still had the old singer, who quit the band. But the new singer is also really great. And she sings this old stuff wonderfully, as I learned on Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment