Thursday, May 9, 2019

May 10 - Tamino

This has been a stressful week. Very, very stressful. Not the most stressful week, but probably number 2 since I moved to Australia. It was just one piece of bad news after another. But luckily it's Friday night and I'm just sharing a quick bit of music before going home and going to a concert. Tonight I'm going to Hiatus Kaiyote. one of my favorite bands. I bought the ticket a long time ago, knowing that Vivid Sydney happens in May (more on that in the future) where they have lots of concerts and that buying this one may mean missing out on something else. But then I thought about it and the only band I could think that I would rather see than Hiatus Kaiyote is probably Radiohead. So all good.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about Hiatus Kaiyote or Radiohead today. I'm here to talk about Tamino. Tamino is a Belgian singer of Egyptian descent, whose grandfather was a famous Egyptian musician, and who's just released his first album, Amir. There's a lot of comparisons to Jeff Buckley, which I kind of get, but don't necessarily agree with. But the man has a gorgeous voice. And the Egyptian background definitely comes through in some of the music, which has heavy Middle Eastern influences. Case in point, w.o.t.h.





So a lot of his songs are quite upbeat with roots in rock (and Egyptian folk). Lots of Middle Eastern instrumentation and strings, and even choir. And, fun fact: the strings and choir are all done by Middle Eastern refugees. Pretty cool. But my favorite song is probably Verses. It is just gorgeous. Very simple, but so beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment