Sunday, May 19, 2019

May 20 - Penny and Sparrow

Last week was kind of the week from hell. Mostly because of work. As I expected. And as I said it would be. It was super stressful. Work was also super stressful outside of the visit from my big boss that I mentioned. But seriously as soon as they left I felt the pressure melt away, and from Friday evening things were great again and I could enjoy the time with my parents. Now there's only one really stressful thing going on at work, but otherwise it's all good.

The time with my parents so far has also been excellent. When I wasn't tired and cranky and stressed, anyway. And especially once the weekend started it was much nicer. They were mostly on tours last week, except for the day they arrived, when they just slept all day. Highlight for me was probably the ballet on Thursday night. We went to the Opera House to see Giselle, which they picked. They wanted to go see a show, not just see the Opera House, and that's the one they chose out of what was on. It was my first time at an actual ballet, I realized, and I liked it much more than I thought I would. I've seen a bunch of dance shows over the years, mostly due to my sister being in them. And it's not really my thing. It looks nice, but I don't really get it. So I was pretty unsure about sitting and watching a ballet for 2 full hours. But it's actually pretty theatrical, so you can follow the story without too much effort, and without actually having to know anything about dance. I'd totally go again! I mean, I wouldn't recommend to friends that we go, but if someone wanted to go, I'd definitely join in.

We did some stuff together on the weekend, but I'll try to write about that tomorrow at work before we go away on our big trip.

So I had Penny and Sparrow on my drafts for a long time to share with you after I heard their album Wendigo back a couple of years ago. But then a lot of time passed and I hadn't listened to it in a long time and didn't share it and so just removed it from my drafts. But now they've released a new single called Eloise, the first off of their upcoming album The Finch, and it's a fantastic song. So now they're back on the blog, and this time actually getting published. Starting with Eloise.





Beautiful, isn't it? Now let's work back to where I intended to start last year or whenever it was, which is with the song Wendigo, the opening track on their 2017 album Wendigo. Wendigo was actually like their 5th album, but it was the first (and still only) one I've heard. Super Bon Iver-y, so you should be able to understand pretty easily why I like it.





Normally I'd only put 2 songs on here when introducing a band, but I had planned to put 2 songs on back in the last blog, so now I'm putting 3. Which means you also get to hear another Bon Iver-y song, Salome & Saint Procula, which is also much more upbeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment