Wednesday, May 29, 2019

May 30 - Maggie Rogers / Flying Lotus

Today's blog post is going to be quick. I've done a lot of writing for work today, so I'm just doing some writing for music. Not stories.

I went to my first show of Vivid Sydney last night, which was Maggie Rogers. She had a sold out show at the Opera House, so had actually added another show at a different venue. But I already had my Opera House ticket, which turned out to be great cause it was a fantastic show. I mean, I'm sure the other show was also great. She was much better than I expected her to be, and probably would have also been at a normal venue. But there's something about the Opera House that really moves artists. It is an iconic, world-famous space, so for artists to play there it's often a very emotional experience. Especially new ones like Maggie. And she talked about that a lot last night, actually. So I'm glad I was able to see her at that venue. And while it is a fantastic venue, which feels very intimate even for big concerts, the thing I really don't like about it is that everyone just sits quietly through the concerts. You're not up and dancing. Which is hard for me at a concert. But as soon as she came out on stage, she made everyone get up and dance. And then, about 5 songs later, she stopped mid-song to make everyone who had sat down get back up. Well played Maggie. Honestly, it was probably one of the best shows I've seen at the Opera House, which is surprising. I did not expect her to be that good. But I think it was in large part influenced by the fact that I wasn't just sitting around, like I usually am and usually hate at shows there. So anyway, here's Burning, my favorite song off of her album Heard It In A Past Life, which came out earlier this year, and which is wonderful. But Burning is definitely a top track for the year. I've listened to it so many times.





Then, since we're talking about artists who are not necessarily new, I'm going to thrown Flying Lotus in here. He just put out a new album also, called Flamagra, and there is one track in particular on it which is amazing. Black Balloons Reprise has Denzel Curry rapping on it, someone who I am not that familiar with or interested in, but he is fantastic on this. And the beats and strings and everything are so good. Overall, the album is fine. I like Flying Lotus, not crazy about him. He's not someone I would regularly sit down and listen to. But I enjoy him when I do listen. So anyway, I'm throwing Black Balloons Reprise in here. It is, by the way, the 3rd track in a trilogy by Denzel Curry, which started with Black Balloons and then The Blackest Balloon. But this Flying Lotus track is by far the best in the trilogy.


No comments:

Post a Comment