Tuesday, May 7, 2019

May 8 - Lizzo

Since last year I've been trying to spend more weekends away from Sydney. Not that I particularly need to. I spend plenty of time away already with work. But there's so much to explore here and I want to go see it all. So when I went to Canberra last year and met up with a friend, we talked about meeting up like once a month in random towns and beaches between Sydney and Canberra. But then that never happened, unfortunately. Things just came up, and the one weekend we actually tried to do it, nobody else could join us and so we cancelled. Which was no fun.

But this last weekend I finally managed to get out and start exploring New South Wales! I went with my friend Simone and two of her friends to Kangaroo Valley, about 2 hours south of Sydney. We just took a quick overnight trip, but it was wonderful. We rented a house on a mountain, and just hung out in town. There isn't much to do there, but we managed to keep ourselves busy anyway. There's a couple of cute little antique shops in Kangaroo Valley's very small town center. It's a one-street, no traffic light type of place. So you can imagine. But they do have a few wineries nearby, so Saturday afternoon we went to the winery and hung out, then went to the pub, and finally had dinner before just going back to the house and hanging out. And there was a chess set, so I played chess for the first time in like 20 years (no exaggeration), which was really, really enjoyable. Plus I won, so that helps.

Then we were supposed to go kayaking on Sunday, but the weather was not on our side. So instead we went to the neighboring town of Berry and went to another antique shop and their monthly market. I bought some plants. And this awesome Buddhist carved stone thing that's fairly large and was only $10. Great deal. It's in my kitchen now, but I'm not sure it'll keep living there. Then it was back to Kangaroo Valley to eat the Best Pies in the World. That's the shop name, and it really did not disappoint. It lives up to the hype. My 3 friends all agreed they were the best pies they'd ever had. And they were probably the best I've ever had also. I bought 4 to bring home for dinners this week. 2 of which I will be enjoying tonight.

So yeah, great weekend away exploring! Not the most exciting place, but really good to get out of Sydney and see a bit of the Australian countryside, and also make a few new friends. Next month we plan to do it again, this time to a town called Bowral.

Now in honor of these people, I will share some pop music. We were all doing the music sharing thing, and they all like their pop music. Which I generally hate. But then Lizzo showed up, and she makes great pop music. I mean, it's 100% pop, but this woman is wonderful. Just give a listen to Juice, one of her earlier singles.





She's basically a sex- and body-positive black woman who is completely unapologetic about her body or what she wants. And it comes through. She's blowing up. And I would be remiss if I did not tell you about her. So now you're told. Go listen to her album. It's still pop, so I'm not in love with it or anything, but it's a good time. Especially Like A Girl. That's my favorite one.


No comments:

Post a Comment